VCI-100 unofficial firmware 1.3.1 available - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Hey Fatlimey, thanks for your reply.

This post will get technical, warning!

Thanks a lot for the tip, but actually this is exactly what I'm doing, I simplified my explaination for the sake of readability I'm waiting for a difference of at least 2 integer values (in comparison to previously stored value) before sending the fader data to have this hysteresis. The least significant bit is then truncated (technically it's still a bit of precision, but you can't use it for fine tuning so it doesn't sound like worth keeping) and then the value used as an index in a response-mapping table which is linear except for the center value which is very wide, so that you're in the center even if you're not exactly at the center (as each pot has a slightly different response, original firmware does this too).

What's interesting is that original firmware does this response-mapping conversion using an 8bit AD value (already debounced) as index, to convert the data to 7 bits. So values between 0 and 127 are stored in this 256-entries table, there are really 128 steps. In my case, I can't afford to "lose a bit" in this conversion table. That's why there are not exactly 512 steps in 1.3.1 but around 490-500 or so (as the center value eats up more than one field). I then shift the value to the left to make it 14 bits. That way even if more bits of precision are added, there's no need to change the mapping.

Add to this a Note ON and Note OFF message when you enter / leave the center position, and that's about all the processing that's done...

Regarding LEDs, do you have a mapping of LED MIDI messages the unit can receive? Or at least one of the message? I didn't fully trace the MIDI events in that direction, except for a couple of SysEx calls (one sending back the unit description, the other sending back all the current unit configuration).

I'll reply to your PM.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Some improvements you might like to make. Truncating an ADC value to remove LSB noise doesn't unfortunately work for all values in the number line, only most of them. Take for instance the 10-bit value:

010011111?

where "?" is the noisy bit. The ADC value is wobbling between two digital values:

0100111111 and 0101000000

Truncating to 7 bits will still send a noisy value to the result because the chain of 1-bits causes the noise to "rise up" through the value and appear in the truncated end result.

The trick to "debouncing" ADC reads is to keep a copy of the previous ADC value at full resolution and only pass on the new ADC value to the truncation code if the full-res value has changed by, say, plus or minus two bits. This adds a bit of hysteresis into the system that will remove noise but still allow actual movement to be recorded quickly. Here's some code:

Code:
            // Make sure any change in the value is due to
            // user action and not sampling noise. We do this by making sure the
            // value has changed by a minimum amount before we say it has
            // changed - essentially adding a small amount of Hysteresis into
            // the system. This part happens at full resolution.
            for (uint8_t i=0; i<4; ++i) {
                // Read the ADC value once and record it for use everywhere else.
                int16_t value = adc_read(i);
                // NOTE: Need a signed 16-bit value for the difference
                int16_t difference = value - g_analog_prev[i];
                // If the difference is less than three bits either way we
                // assume the difference was noise and the ADC was not changed.
                if (abs(difference) < 8) {
                    // do not send the noisy new value, use the old reliable one.
                    adc_value[i] = g_analog_prev[i];
                } else {
                    adc_value[i] = value;
                }
            }

// Next, loop over these fresh ADC values to see if, after
            // truncation, they have changed and a MIDI event needs
            // to be generated.
            for (uint8_t i=0; i<4; ++i) {

// Lose the bottom three bits of each 10-bit ADC value,
                // converting it to a 7-bit CC value.
                uint8_t value = (uint8_t)(adc_value[i] >> 3);
                uint8_t prev_value = (uint8_t)(g_analog_prev[i] >> 3);

// Compare the CC value to the previous one sent. If there has
                // been a change, generate a new MIDI Control Change event
                // sending the new value.
                if (value != prev_value) {
                    // Generate the default CC event.
                    midi_stream_cc(16 + i, value);

// Record the new ADC value, at full resolution, for the next
                    // time through.
                    g_analog_prev[i] = adc_value[i];
               }
            }
    Do this and your faders return rock solid results. This code comes from a Midifighter update I'm working on.

Looks like you'll have to find a few unused words of RAM to use for the previous values. Also, if you have any clue why the lights flicker when the unit recieves MIDI input I'd love to try and fix that. My guess is there's no latch on the LED values and the flickering is the LED bits rippling through the serial input. No good way to fix that unfortunately.

Keep up the good work! Should you feel the desire to share your discoveries as an open source Creative Commons project, I'd love to help you out. Check your PM!

I dont know what the hell you guys are talking about but i love the cut of your jib...

if you can make the vci 100 jogs and pitch more accurate then i'll nominate you for a nobel peace prize...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I dont know what the hell you guys are talking about but i love the cut of your jib...

if you can make the vci 100 jogs and pitch more accurate then i'll nominate you for a nobel peace prize...
    Done!

4x pitch resolution
    4x jog resolution

I'll release a new firmware soon after more testing. I'm REALLY looking for someone with a programmer to do some testing!

For the technical infos related to the jogs:

The jog info is sent as relative value since last jog message. That's why it doesn't make sense to talk about 7-bit or 14-bit jog MIDI signal: as long as you send your signals fast enough, 7-bit MIDI messages are enough even if the absolute resolution of the jog is much more precise.

Actually the jog wheel implementation on the VCI-100 is not done using an AD converter, but the jog wheel sends pulses to the microcontroller at high speed. One pulse = one step. I've no idea how many steps there are for a full rotation of the jog wheel, but much more than 128 that's for sure.

I was able to improve the jog resolution by a factor of 2 because internally the resolution is divided by 2 (that's not for debouncing), so I just disabled it. Over this I gained a factor of 2 again by triggering the edge-detection interrupt on both edges instead of just rising edge (the signal seems well suited to do that).

Holy Sh§t, I must be dreaming.. *pinching myself*

Would immidiately buy a VCI-100 if the pitchfaders and jogs would finally be usable for manual pitching..

ooowh need to get my vci tempo slider fixed for this?

Anyone used it yet?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Ean and DJTT need to get on this.. this is serious breaking news!!! Surely this will make the vci se/arcade edition an extremely serious competitor to any controller now.

I still haven't got my FW kit yet but when i do i will check this out.

But i'd like to see DJTT get behind this asap.

So, does this mean the jogs will be more responsive for scratching??? that's pretty key for a lot of people eh...

Stirling work!
    Last edited by MaxOne; 08-17-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Talking Firmware 1.3.2 with lots of improvements

Still looking for testers, here's 1.3.2 with new improvements! I think it's time to put my VCI back in its case to finally enjoy it, it¨s full power seems unleashed!

Regarding the jog wheel, I'm not sure the improved resolution improves the "responsiveness", but please let me know, I'm not used to scratch.

New in 1.3.2
    ============
    - 4x Jog wheel resolution
    - Play buttons' blue LED (VCI-100 SE mapping) could be lit using MIDI messages
    - A MIDI CC command is sent along with the Note ON command when the pitch fader
    is centered (so it's possible to reach the exactly the center position even
    using the DJTT mappings)

New in 1.3.1
    ============
    - 4x pitch fader resolutions

Usage
    =====

You must change the following to your Traktor mappings:

1) Remap your controllers:

- Deck A/C Tempo = CH02.PitchBend
    - Deck B/D Tempo = CH03.PitchBend
    - Deck A/C Tempo Reset = CH02.Note.C0
    - Deck B/D Tempo Reset = CH02.Note.C#0

2) Divide the jog wheel sensibility by 4

Have fun!

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Ill be testing this as soon as im not bed ridden!

Tech Guru

Yeah, seriously breaking news. I'm no help with the firmware programming, but I'll definitely put it through the paces as soon as I get it flashed.

While you're at it dude, a common complaint of the 1.3.0 firmware is that the "filter" knob coding (Lowest low on stock VCI) was originally intended for Traktor 3. As such, they send two 128 step CC messages - one for each side of 12 o'clock, and the center position note. If you can change that knob back to one CC message for the full rotation, you are legend.

Brilliant about the enabling of the leds in the transport section!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Don't forget to change the left Sync button to act like the right one!!!!!!!!!

As soon as that is done I'm all over this like a rash.

Bravo, Phil.

P.S. e-mail me: philip @ djtechtools.com, I'm sure I will need your info very soon ;-)
    Last edited by pilmat; 08-17-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast