VCI-100 Jog wheel problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 Jog wheel problem

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is something that has already been covered, but I'm not sure how you would describe it concisely as an issue.

I have a straight-outta-the-box VCI-100 and I've been using it for a few weeks. I was putting together a mix CD today and towards the end of my mix suddenly the left jog wheel began acting peculiarly.

Essentially it seems to intermittently fail to register movement as I move the wheel back and forth over a beat, causing the equivalent of really terrible sticker drift (based on the printed 'USB MIDI CONTROLLER' text). It feels really, really wrong even when doing something as simple as dropping a tune. I'm not lifting my fingers from the touch sensor, so it should be one-to-one manipulation of the track.

I've tried unplugging the controller and plugging it in again and restarting Traktor and it has made no difference. The right jog wheel is completely unaffected and behaves as both of them did out of the box.

I thought maybe upping the sensitivity of the touch sensor might help, but I'm away from home and don't have a small enough screwdriver to fiddle with it at the moment.

I was wondering if this is a known issue and whether there was a fix? Sorry I don't have a VCI-100SE but I live in the UK and it's a little more complicated to get hold of one over here!

Any help much appreciated, the VCI is my only method of DJing at the moment.

Cheers,

Mighty Seven

Tech Mentor

Try cleaning the optical disc. There should be a thread somewhere in the forum. I remember seeing a tutorial on the subject, perhaps it was youtube? Just do a forum search, then a google search.

This was a bug that a few people experienced with previous TSI files. Have you installed the latest TSI file? Also are you running the most current version of Traktor?

Tech Wizard

I'm having this problem too, I managed to fix it for a short while following the "stiff jogwheel fix" guide from here, but that only sorted it for a while, now it's back and neither of my jogwheels work perfectly, both of them skip up at the same exact part on every rotation, so obviously just a tiny bit of the axle is not picking up the movement but it makes SUCH a difference when you're trying to race through the track to get to a particular part.
    I'm trying the stiff jogwheel fix again, and if it doesn't work then I'll try re-downloading the tsi and maybe even re installing traktor.

Tech Guru

interested in hearing how folks are doing maintenance on the jogs. Recently my right one would get get stuck when I would touch it (red light would stay on). I took them apart, cleaned the inside and put dielectric grease on them. Seemed a little gunky - but my jogs were spinning away with no issues. Now my left one has the same problem, followed the same steps and still no fix. Wondering what some of the "fixes" are.

-Whats the best way of cleaning the optical disk?
    -When I open the case for the jogs. There is a metal piece that rubs on the rotating post/bar, how bent should that be? How much resistance should that provide against the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    interested in hearing how folks are doing maintenance on the jogs. Recently my right one would get get stuck when I would touch it (red light would stay on). I took them apart, cleaned the inside and put dielectric grease on them. Seemed a little gunky - but my jogs were spinning away with no issues. Now my left one has the same problem, followed the same steps and still no fix. Wondering what some of the "fixes" are.

-Whats the best way of cleaning the optical disk?
    -When I open the case for the jogs. There is a metal piece that rubs on the rotating post/bar, how bent should that be? How much resistance should that provide against the bar?
    Haze, last night before going to a house party, my left jog did the same thing (light stuck on). I just turned down the jog sensitivity a little bit and all was good.

I must admit it scared the crap out of 15 minutes before dropping it into my gig bag!

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Haze, last night before going to a house party, my left jog did the same thing (light stuck on). I just turned down the jog sensitivity a little bit and all was good.

I must admit it scared the crap out of 15 minutes before dropping it into my gig bag!

Phil.
    Phil, man I just need to stop messing with this poor thing.

So, I go to adjust the sensitivity and I snapped the small knob off. Turned much more that it was supposed to go! Faaawwwkkk!

Well turns out, with out the knob its at the perfect setting. Not sure if that is min or max. But when I touch it turns red as soon as I let go it goes blue. Perfect.

Man, my poor VCI has been abused the last couple of days.

Just worries me something could act up mid-gig.

Tech Wizard

Yo guys, I got this same issue

My VCI-100 is pretty new, I've had it for like 2 months tops, but the right jog wheel has that same drop out problem like MightySeven said in the 1st post. When moving the jog wheel back n forth it intermittenly fails to register the movement. Tweaking the sensitivity has helped, and sometimes it seems fine but then it will come back again and I can hear it griding so i think some electrical grease would do the trick.

I was just wondering if you guys could throw up a link to somewhere that sells dielectric grease? I just wanna makesure im getting the right stuff before i go smearing it all over my jog wheel. Is there any special type of dielectric grease? or is it all the same?

Also if someone could throw up a link to the "stiff jogwheel fix" guide that was mentioned earlier in thread it would be much appreciated. I've tried a search but couldnt find it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Tech Mentor

Well, if you get dielectric grease, you would be purchasing the wrong thing. Dielectric does not mean electrically conductive, it means it can be used with magnetic fields. That being said, you need a metal to metal, electrically conductive grease. I did a bit of searching (actually, a lot) to find this and came up with a few options. I don't have my laptop with me now so I can't post any links... I found a carbon based grease that boasts electric conductivity...will post the link later. As far as the tutorial goes, just do a google search for "VCI Jogwheel fix" or something like that. It'll pop up.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I was just looking at this yesterday. http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/01/0...-on-a-vci-100/ There's a pdf link in there to the jog wheel fix guide.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast