latency clarification, please?

Default latency clarification, please?

right, stupid question. by now i should know the answer. but until now i have had no need to fiddle with this, just used the default settings that my dj i/o installed with.

however, since getting and setting up a dicer in traktor i have experienced the odd 'glitch' in sound (similar to the apc40 issue with send monitor state) when some of the LEDs go on/off - mainly loading the cue points on mode 1 and sometimes when i change a loop on mode 3.

after a tweak through my system to see if i could streamline the paths the signals take, i looked at my audio latency.

on the dj i/o you get a drop down, with the number of samples (128, 256, 512 etc...) and the latency in ms next to it. my first thought was i'll go with the lowest number of samples (40 something) as this would mean less processing and things might work better - NO. got all glitchy at slightest touch of anything.

so went the other way to 512 samples - could go to 1024 but the latency range high end listed was 99ms - my latency now sits around 14ms and things are behaving.

anyway, long story short, am i right in thinking that more samples means better sound and so more latency? and if so, how come the answer to my glitch seems to be 'make the sound better'. i would've though i'd need to compromise some of it?

confused

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Its basically the buffer size dude. 14ms is fine. I run at 11.5ms with my audio 4. If you can get it below 10 with no glitches you are doing well!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Its basically the buffer size dude. 14ms is fine. I run at 11.5ms with my audio 4. If you can get it below 10 with no glitches you are doing well!
    ah! that makes more sense. might push it to the biggest one and see what happens, doubt it'll run at the 99ms end tbh. the latency traktor is displaying is lower than the range on the control panel for the i/o anyway. was at 5.5 before i added the dicer though

SoundCloud

a good test is to have four decks running with effects, keylock on hq etc and fiddle with your settings like that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    a good test is to have four decks running with effects, keylock on hq etc and fiddle with your settings like that.
    kinda what i did, but i mashed all the dicer buttons. happy with it for now

SoundCloud