Swapping the small channel balance pots in the VCI-100

Default Swapping the small channel balance pots in the VCI-100

Has anyone swapped the 2 channel balance pots for larger ones, something like those on the gain, filter and EQs? I'm using a layout that's pretty close to the original Vestax faceplate marked one and what I've always wanted in a DJ mixer was to be able to do stereo blends instead of just volume ones. However, those small buggers just don't quite cut it for me and from what I can see, it's just a matter of swapping them out for larger ones and enlarging the holes in the faceplate.

To those who've done it or have some idea of what value it is, can you please let me know? Thanks in advance.
    Know thy music ...

thats a good idea because those same knobs on the djtechtools custom mapping are the headphone volume and cue/master mix control and it would be nice to have them bigger for when im cueing up a song and going back and forth from the master to the cue...

my solution is i also run a TotalControl for my FX and i use the knobs on that guy that are the default headphone control knobs in place of using those 2 small buggers on the vci 100

your idea sounds like it would work though....it just may be a little to cramped with the bigger knobs right there in the middle...who knows!!
    Travis TraxVci 100 SE black/\Numark TotalControl/\Toshiba Satellite
    check out my Monthly Podcast "Trax Certified" and download it for FREE!http://soundcloud.com/travis-trax/tr...fied-episode-2

Nah, definitely enough space. Look at the stock gain pots on top and mid EQ one on the sides of the channel balance knib (ain't a knob since it's so small ). If possible, I'm also thinking of swapping the stock monitor level one for a bigger pot. That's the place which will get really cramped if you swap master level, monitor level and monitor select for bigger knobs so I won't get greedy and only swap one out.
    Know thy music ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Progen View Post
    Look at the stock gain pots on top and mid EQ one on the sides of the channel balance knib (ain't a knob since it's so small
    hahaha knib! i like it!
    Travis TraxVci 100 SE black/\Numark TotalControl/\Toshiba Satellite
    check out my Monthly Podcast "Trax Certified" and download it for FREE!http://soundcloud.com/travis-trax/tr...fied-episode-2

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So you want to solder a new knob on in place of the knib? I think the problem you'll run into will be that the new knob won't match the holes in the circuit board for the knib. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I think it would be a major pain. I would look ay getting on of the Akai laptop controllers and assigning one of those knobs to do what you want.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I don't mind enlarging the hole on the cover and faceplate and from a casual glance, I think it might fit exactly if I get a pot that's the size of the others like gain, EQ, filter, etc..

The soldering points on the board looks exactly the same as those around it. Only that the pot itself is a different type.
    Know thy music ...

ive yanked a few knobs off my nanokontrol, quik-modded the inside with an exacto knife, and they fit right over the little black knubs. fit nice and tightly actually, just like a normal knob, and function at least 1000x better. ill post pics when i get the chance

I was thinking of doing this actually...

I am just waiting for my new overlay from djtt, so I'm gonna have a look when it arrives - I've got some pots lying around so I will let ya know

update: I had a look today and it looks a pretty simple job to desolder the knibs and change them
    But I didn't bother cos the ones I wanted to change were the volume ones and it looks a little tight..
    Last edited by Nicky H; 09-01-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: update
    SC | MC