SCS3 as a system? Or just SCS3d with a regular mixer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default SCS3 as a system? Or just SCS3d with a regular mixer?

I've been looking to buy an Scs3d or two due to their portability and the amount I travel. I know a couple people here use them regularly, so I got a few questions.

Is it comfortable controlling 2 decks from one Scs.3d? Or should I invest in two?

Should I buy the whole system? Is the SCS.3m worth it/worth using? Or is it better to pair the two SCS.3ds with a regular mixer?

Tech Guru

If you're using it with Traktor it makes sense to get the whole pack. If you're primarily a DVS user, it might be a better deal to just get 2 SCS.3ds.

Tech Mentor

controlling two decks on one scs3d is no problem at all for me. only if you want to apply effects to both decks at once you need at least a second 3d or a 3m.
    i often find myself using a regular mixer instead of the 3m since it's kinda hard to make tiny adjustments to the volume or EQs on the touch strips (sometimes i also make these adjustments on the 3d pads which is easier due to their longer travel touch strips).

so my suggestion would be 2x scs3d plus a regular mixer (mind you need a soundcard supporting multiple channels for this setup!).
    Stanton SCS3 System

Hi,
    i've got an SCS3 "pack" so 1 SCS3m and 2 SCS3D from one month. The system is conceptually perfect for traktor and i enjoyed a lot.
    The only thing it's that it seems to me a little bit unstable in certain conditions, i think that Stanton will change one of the units because it seems buggy to their engineers.

Tech Guru

The only thing it's that it seems to me a little bit unstable in certain conditions, i think that Stanton will change one of the units because it seems buggy to their engineers.
    No it doesn't. Not sure where you're getting that, but it's not from Stanton engineering. The only hardware based problem we are seeing with the 3 series is that they require a computer to provide solid power to attached USB devices. This is a problem that LOTS of USB hardware shares. There was also a problem with a small number of SCS.3m controllers that would have a stuck A/C button, but that was fixed via a firmware patch.

Other than that, the hardware has been amazing. The BIGGEST problem with the SCS.3 series is that people don't bother to read any of the setup instructions before using it. The data needed to get a solid working system is not only in the manual, but online on our website, on our forums, and built in to our DaRouter software (press the "?" button).

Tech Mentor

Yea right now I'm leaning more towards not getting the scs3m....because I do like the feel of the knobs and faders on a regular mixer...I just need some portable deck/fx controls I can take anywhere with me.

Any idea where I can get the best deal on one of these?

Default Get the set

If you do decide to use an external mixer, you can mapp the 3m for other things like browsing.

btw, they ain't no stability problems. as nemonic said, some computers play with the power they send to usb ports.

Tech Guru

...some computers play with the power they send to usb ports.
    Or sometimes Chinese factories are being Chinese factories and providing lower than acceptable quality cables.

As for deals, you might look for B stock from a Guitar Center or Best Buy. I've seen the SCS.3 pack sell for $350, which would give you the whole deal and cost you less than 2 single SCS.3ds. That will also get you a legit LE license (always good for upgrading even if you already own Traktor), and a real warranty (1 year).

Tech Mentor

For $350 I would just get the whole damn system! Thats a steal!
    The lowest I've seen is $400 so far, and that was a second hand seller on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    No it doesn't. Not sure where you're getting that, but it's not from Stanton engineering.
    sorry for mis-translations: not engineers but distributor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast