Tutorial - VCI-100 Turning gain knobs into gain+key knobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tutorial - VCI-100 Turning gain knobs into gain+key knobs in Traktor

Ok guys, I have modded the 3.5 TSI file to add the functionality that when the shift key is held, the "gain" knob becomes the "key" knob. I was bored so I thought I would do a little tutorial on how to do it yourself. I have always used the key feature in Traktor because during small sets I might not have enough tracks to stay in key (using mixed in keys Camelot scale)

So I always had to change the key knob in the software. Now I can simply do it with shift+gain

Disclaimer : I take no responsibility for your modding your own tsi. Please use your head and back everything up first before you make changes. This guide assumes you have a VCI-100 v1.3, Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.4 and are using Ean Goldens 3.5 mapping.

NB- Noteworthy items will be highlighted in red.

01) First organise the control column alphabetically
    02) In the above image it shows that the shift button is linked to
    Modifier 7 (M7),
    that the interaction mode is "hold"
    and the set to value is "1"
    It also shows "ch01.Note.A#6" (this is your shift key on your VCI)

03) Find the "gain" control for deck A,B,C and D. Note that the "condition 1" is M8=0, change this over to "condition 2" as in the next image (this is purely cosmetic and just allows for less confusion during the next step)

04) Next change "condition 1" for all 4 decks to M7=0 (this will mean that when the shift key is not held down, or in the zero position the gain knob will change the gain)

05) Click "Add In ..."

6) Select Mixer -> Key

7) Click "Learn" and move the gain knob on the left (for decks A&C) and then unclick "learn" (Check that the knob you moved corresponds to "Ch01.CC.028")

8) Parameters to change;
    Condition 1 = M7=1
    Condition 2 = M4=1
    Assignment = Deck C
    Comment = Key Deck C

9) Repeat steps 6 & 7

10) Parameters to change;
    Condition 1 = M7=1
    Condition 2 = M4=0
    Assignment = Deck A
    Comment = Key Deck A

(Condition 1 means that it will control the key only when the shift button is held down)
    (Condition 2 means that it will control the key on either deck A or C depending on which deck you are controlling after pressing the "Deck C" button on the VCI)

11) Do the same for Deck B and D, however please note that you will "learn" the gain knob on the right this time. (which should correspond to Ch01.CC.029)

12) Parameters to change

Deck B;
    Condition 1 = M7=1
    Condition 2 = M8=0
    Assignment = Deck B
    Comment = Key Deck B

Deck D;
    Condition 1 = M7=1
    Condition 2 = M8=2
    Assignment = Deck D
    Comment = Key Deck D

13) Go and check everything works as it should eg.
    Moving the gain knob on the left controls the gain on deck A
    Holding shift and moving the gain knob controls the key on deck A etc.

Try this for all 4 decks

14) (Optional Step)

You may find that when your swapping from key to gain. you get an unnecessary jump in volume or key. to solve this select key in the controller manager and check "Soft takeover"

This must be done for all 4 entries under key and all 4 entries under gain

See image below

Thanks for taking the time to read this, doing this little mod has really streamlined my work flow and made things much easier for me.

Please comment or ask questions if you get stuck.
    Last edited by DJ_barneyb; 04-19-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling and Title change

Easy to follow and working perfectly

Great tutorial. How do you know what value to set the key? I use Mixed in Key but not sure what values correlate to what on Traktor Pro.

I known clockwise is higher/counter-clockwise is lower?
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Mentor

good one. I did this the moment i upgraded to 3.5. I find it so useful plus it's fun to make synth sounding basslines with the key and a /32 loop engaged.

Tech Wizard

Was thinking of doing this myself but you saved me the trouble. Thanks a lot my friend

Tech Wizard

All works great, however the gain knob does not have a centre click so when needing to return to normal quickly (I use key for quick change on acapellas) it becomes a bit difficult.

So I tried to change the learn to the high eq instead of the gain but now when I press shift both the high eq and the key move at the same time. When not pressing shift the high eq works fine.

Anyone know what to value to change so that they work independently like when programmed for the gain?

Many thanks

Newbie Midi progger

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyDonePun View Post
    Great tutorial. How do you know what value to set the key? I use Mixed in Key but not sure what values correlate to what on Traktor Pro.

I known clockwise is higher/counter-clockwise is lower?
    Correct clockwise is higher and vice versa, however I'm not sure how much you have to alter to match the key.

I usually just sync the tracks and put the track I'm queing somewhere in the middle of the track and play around with the key, it usually just "drops" into place. Gonna have to use your ears for this one, if it sounds good it's usually correct.

Hope that helps

@ DJdetta, I will take a look at the mapping now and try to replicate your results. I will post back within the hour with the settings.

Ok, I see where you have gone wrong. Keep your "conditions" for "Key" as they were put in the tutorial, however you can keep your knob assignment to "EQ High". During step 3, I changed the parameters for "gain" by adding condition M7=0.
    This means that when shift is in the off (zero) state only then will the "gain" knob work.

Basicly you need to replace step 3 for "EQ High"

That should get it working as desired. Any problems let me know and I will post screenshots of what I mean.

Basicly just replace "gain" with "EQ High" and you should be ok
    Last edited by DJ_barneyb; 04-24-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Tech Wizard

Of course, completely forgot about that bit. Thanks, works like a dream.

Does this increase and decrease the key by one semitone at a time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast