Akai MPD 32 and VCI-100se - Good together?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Akai MPD 32 and VCI-100se - Good together?

Hey Guys,

I currently have a VCI-100se (external mixing through a DDM-4000) and I want to expand my setup. I DJ in a duo and we were thinking of getting another midi controller so that we can both be really "into the mix" at the same time.

Would you suggest getting an Akair MPD 32 that we can map to use effects, samples etc?

If not, what's another piece of equipment that would compliment our current set up? Also note that we are quite restrained on budget thus the interest in the MPD 32!

Look forward to your words of wisdom,

Moo

the mpd's are great controllers.

I had a lot of fun with an mpd24 with the midi fighter mapping on one bank and effects presets on another with some cue point bits on another bank, and faders, filters & effects on the other controls.

I'd say, if youve got the budget, go with the 32, if not the 26 is still a good controller.

I'd recommend the 24 but the encoders arent true rotary controls, which really bummed me when I got hold of it.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

awesome! I think I may get the 32 second from someone

Do you know if there are any premade maps around for this and traktor (that will work with a vci-100)?

Thanks!

best advice I can offer is to root around in the mappings forum, you may get lucky.

Mapping your own controls is very easy though. It just requires a little research, thought, and time. But it is time very well invested.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Are the 32's encoders true rotary?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    I'd recommend the 24 but the encoders arent true rotary controls, which really bummed me when I got hold of it.
    What exactly do you mean by this?

edit: also, do either the mpd24 or the mpd32 have LEDs behind the pads like the lpd8?
    Last edited by mistertuckshop; 09-06-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Tech Mentor

they dont have leds on he pads mate could someone tell me the benifit of the rotary encoders please?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    they dont have leds on he pads mate could someone tell me the benifit of the rotary encoders please?
    +1

Picking up a 32 today.

Having trouble finding a mapping that includes a vci-100 and mpd 32 though =[

Yup, they dont have LED's, which is a bummer, the LPD8 leds are lovely.

you need rotary encoders if you would like to use the knobs for more than one function, e.g. with a modifier. That way the control will pick up from the value currently in the software rather than a midi value sent via the hardware.

as far as mappings go, you do not need a mapping that includes both pieces of hardware. you need a separate mapping for each device, you can even have multiple mappings hooked up to one device. Say, a mapping for each bank on the mpd 32.

Quote Originally Posted by moomentum View Post
    +1

Picking up a 32 today.

Having trouble finding a mapping that includes a vci-100 and mpd 32 though =[
    just find an mpd one that suits your needs and import it

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast