DJ Name

Thread: DJ Name

Tech Guru

Default DJ Name

I have been trying to come up with a cool clever DJ name for a very long time and have yet to find something that really means something for me. I have been called Bart for most my life I have used the moniker Bart and/or Bartboy for a very long time. I know a lot of DJ's use there real names.

An old DJ friend of mine used to use DJ Poptart until she moved to Miami and she quickly changed it to Alyson Calagna being her birth name. I mean DJ Poptart does sound kinda kiddish and now she's playing the circuit parties to thousands. Anyone have thoughts, ideas, or just a great way to find your DJ name.

I'm talking about it like I'm going to find my spirit animal or something. In all honesty that's what it's like for me. I love DJing even if I'll never play to more than just a house full of people. But it's an escape for me from the daily grind and I think using my birth name is kind of like keeping one foot in the real world when all I wanna do is escape to my other world.

So what's you take. Real name, Nickname, or maybe fake real name? or none of the above. Thanks for listening. Also as a side has anyone ever seen the moniker Bartboy used? I'm sure there are more than one DJ Bart and there's Bart B-More I'm sure there are more that I don't know of yet. Thanks again.

bartabee. use a bee as a logo type thing

For inspiration, how i got mine: i figured it should have some explainable meaning, so i figured that before you do something you think about how youre going to do it, and what the outcome will be. so in my geekdom i thought: hypothesis, but a) too long b) a bit too geeky for me c) the spelling throws me off, and not being able to sprll your own name makes you look stupid

so then i thought, well whats similar to that (even if its not the same). needless to say, theory came to mind and so it was
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

just establish a name for urself first

but beware:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1-3ai1Ayyc
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

I agree with that guy 100%... People who introduce themselves as their dj names have such low self esteem that its hard not to say.. Sorry I never of heard of you or anyone talking about you.

I think though on a flyer depending on what genre your doing and if your producing stuff.. a name is not a bad thing. I jump around from dnb to gabber to jungle to hiphop to ambient to breakcore. So somehow frogstar fits.. and Ive raised frogs since highschool, have 12 frog tattoos etc etc. So in this case it works for me..

finding a name isnt the easiest thing to do.. but one thing I have found... .. is have a dictionary or thesaurus by the toilet, you can find one really quick because you get a clear concise definition of the word you might not have remembered as being so concise to a thought or thing or verb/action

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post
    I agree with that guy 100%... People who introduce themselves as their dj names have such low self esteem that its hard not to say.

or a giant ego

Personally I just use my real name. I do not need a DJ name.

If I am spinning at a party or any event I jsut tell them to call me DJ Gianmarco if they want to put "DJ" on it

if not its something like:

Music by: Gianmarco (genre I will be spinning here)

or some variation thereof
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

i agree with the name thing, and for the most part, but my name is there so people can tell the mix is mine/ easy search/ if they ask 'whats your dj name' i can say 'theory' and then there like ok.
    i tried saying 'i dont have one really' but that lead to a discussion on finding me one... dj skittles came up as the end result... and im now supposed to spin some really chil trance, and my dj drop would be 'taaassteeeee thee raiinnnnbowwww' in a soft whisper

and im actually going to do this if i move into the trance scene lol
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Guru

Thank you so much for that video I couldn't stop laughing. My real first name is John which is funny it was like he was yelling at ME and no one else lol. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    or a giant ego

Personally I just use my real name. I do not need a DJ name.

If I am spinning at a party or any event I jsut tell them to call me DJ Gianmarco if they want to put "DJ" on it

if not its something like:

Music by: Gianmarco (genre I will be spinning here)

or some variation thereof

I like it when I see the name of the person on a flyer with no dj in front. Sometimes its designer making the flyer who puts the dj.

looks best when it says DJ sets by:
    insert name

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Guru

My only problem is I have quite a few friends that call me Bart. Always have, more than likely always will. I'm 99% positive that none of them could tell you my real name if put on the spot. It's a childhood nickname that stuck so well I seriously thought about changing it for a while. So I guess my question is should I just stick with what people already know or come up with something more professional? Not that I'm a professional by any means :P