Will this be enough for a house party?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will this be enough for a house party?

Hey guys,

So I may be DJ'ing a large frat party for Halloween pretty soon. I've got a hand me down powered mixer that's a BEAST... 3000 watts with WAY more channels than I need, but it's got a great amp in it.

I'm planning on getting some of these to go with it>

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

The question is, until I can afford the Eurolive speakers, will my Cerwin Vegas (in the picture above) be good enough for a large house party? They get really loud, and have decent bass, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Any thoughts?

Tech Mentor

I've done house parties on much worse. You will be fine.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

i think its going LOUD
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

be careful not to blow your speakers up with that amp though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Actually, most speakers are blown due to under-powering than over-powering them. Just don't drive them into distorting and you'll be fine.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Why are you getting Behringer speakers anyway? I don't think that's the company's strong suit.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Actually, most speakers are blown due to under-powering than over-powering them. Just don't drive them into distorting and you'll be fine.
    About the time I hit submit I started thinking that maybe it was the other way around.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

One thing to remember is that each person in the room will absorb some sound. You have to factor in the number of people, not just the size of the room when thinking about the sound system.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

3000 Watts from a 125V source is 24 amps. The average home in the US only has 15amp circuits so make sure the amp has a circuit to itself (e.g. run a cable to the basement just for the amp.)

You probably won't trip the switches using the amp by itself, just be careful not to share the circuit with anything like disco lights, an AC device, heater or refrigerator.

Get the speakers up high and angle them down over people heads. The pro way is to use speaker stands and a "Top Hat" connector in the speakers, but you can get the same results suspending them from ropes or roping them to shelving up high. Angle them diagonally from the corners of the room so as not to bounce the sound off the back wall and create quiet spots in the center of the room.

Spend a moment getting unshared power to the amp and getting the speakers up high and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    3000 Watts from a 125V source is 24 amps. The average home in the US only has 15amp circuits so make sure the amp has a circuit to itself (e.g. run a cable to the basement just for the amp.)

You probably won't trip the switches using the amp by itself, just be careful not to share the circuit with anything like disco lights, an AC device, heater or refrigerator.

Get the speakers up high and angle them down over people heads. The pro way is to use speaker stands and a "Top Hat" connector in the speakers, but you can get the same results suspending them from ropes or roping them to shelving up high. Angle them diagonally from the corners of the room so as not to bounce the sound off the back wall and create quiet spots in the center of the room.

Spend a moment getting unshared power to the amp and getting the speakers up high and you'll be fine.
    Great info. I'll be sure to setup hours before hand so that everything is good. I'll only be running the amp, and laptop, so I'll look for a non shared plug and hopefully be alright (so long as nobody plugs in a toaster

Why are you getting Behringer speakers anyway? I don't think that's the company's strong suit.
    Their strong suit is copying other companies designs and reproducing their products for cheaper. I need one-stop-shop volume and bass (i dont want to lug a sub around) and these are the cheapest I've found. Roughly $450 for a pair.

They have also gotten good reviews, from what I've been able to find.

My Live Sound teacher told me this too... although many people refute it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast