Help with a new idea
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Help with a new idea

Hey guys.

So I'm still looking at trying to figure out how to control four decks in a dynamic fashion using my VCI-100 (NI told me that the Toggle command for page changes won't work, and to use as a shift control, but, well, I'm not satisfied with that ). he new idea on my plate is to add another PadKontrol/control surface (possibly an MD24) to the collection. This is what I want to do:

I want to be able to switch which decks are being controlled by each side of the VCI-100. For example, hit a command on my PadKontrol and it switches Deck A to Deck C, or Deck B to Deck D. Now, I know this is do-able I just don't know how to do it. I would consider moving the Sync button to the PadKontrols (splitting them down the middle so the top two rows of left PK controls Deck A cue points and bottom row controls Deck C cue points, sync on one side and change Focus on the other) and using it to switch the decks in a toggle function. I just don't want to use it as a shift key, but instead as a toggle command.

How do I program this? If you have a .tks for it that's great, but I would also like to learn how to do it for the future.

Thanks a lot
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Check out the MPD-32. I have an MPD24 and I'm lusting after the 32. Need more buttons!

http://www.akaipro.com/mpd32

Toggling for page changes does work, I use the 4 tiny black buttons in the corner of my VCI100. The top button represents page 1 the second page two and so on.
    The way I programmed it was just to add "select midi page #2, 3, and 4" in page one, and then "selecet midi page #1, 3, and 4" in page 2, and so on. Then I saved that as a tks file, and opened it up in word edit and changed the 'type' of those select-midi-pages to 3. I don't remember what it originally was, but anyways, you save that, and upload it and now you can toggle between pages just by hitting the corresponding little black button.

I also recommend hitting the button a couple of times just to ensure that the switch has been made, they're a little finicky.

I'm not sure if that's what you were asking for, but I found that that little is helping me out a lot, and I was quite proud of myself when I figured out how to do it.

Fatlimey: I've been looking at that one, but I found a PadKontrol on eBay for a hundred bucks, so if I lose the bid I'll start looking at the MPD32. I could afford it but I don't NEED all of it. The faders and knobs might be wasted.

piburr: I tried that but on Page 4 I got awful MIDI feedback. I'll give it another shot, though, and see what happens. If it works that makes my life a bit easier... well... a lot easier. If I could get it all in one midi page, though, with the foot switches, then I could have a lot more to play with. I could also have different MIDI pages for different functions on the same tks, just to consolidate.

Thanks!
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I haven't gotten to making my page 4 yet, I'm still working on 2 and 3. hopefully I don't get bad feedback, but I'll keep watching this thread cose it would be really useful to have it all on one page.

Well, what happened to me was page 1, 2 and 3 worked fine. I just copied and pasted page 1 and changed the commands so it was A/B, C/D, A/D and C/B respectively. Then whenever I'd get to page 4 it would just lock. NI pretty much told me it can't be done due to user complaints about MIDI feedback. So, I have it set now to pages 1 and 2 toggle and 3 and 4 as shifts. But if I can set footswitch style changes (Toggle Sync to change A to C and B to D) then maybe all in one page... it could be a lot of fun.

Hopefully someone knows
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall