Can you identify my musical genre?

Default Can you identify my musical genre?

Hey guys,

I've never really been concerned with what ''genre'' of music i play or listen to. I started off almost ten years ago as a guitartist in a rock band. I then became a frontman (vocals/guitar) of an Indie/Alternative band. When i quit that i tried starting an electronic/acoustic project. A few years later i started DJ'ing for some rapper buddies of mine who had a pretty heavy touring schedule and less than a year ago i decided to try becoming a club dj. I've always loved music and have always enjoyed a wide variety of it but to me all it ever was, was music. nothing more to it. Now that i'm in the dj'ing/club scene i've tried to carry that philosophy with me but i quickly learnt that on the "mainstream" scene (if thats what you can call the club scene), everything must be labelled. That led me to start wondering what musical genre i could be categorized into as a DJ. I made a quick set today with a general sound that i totally love (music style-speaking) I didn't touch the effects too much and didn't really engage any controllerism routines. I just mixed and tried to create a badass mood with the songs i was playing.

Now, if anybody has a bit of time to lose and listens to my mix, i'd like to know what style you would classify me in.

here it is, i wish i knew how to embed it into my post: http://soundcloud.com/dj-x-5/dj-x-shock

thanks!
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

Tech Mentor

It's all over the place. Honestly don't worry about Genres...
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

+1 You don't stick with 1 genre enough to be labeled as a certain type of dj. Enjoy that.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

allright let me add to my question, then.

Is this an apporpriate mix of songs to play in a club (or to hand out as a demo, let's say)? Which kinda of place would not accept this kind of mix?
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

The 28 Day Later theme song (In the House/In a Heartbeat by John Murphy) is one of my favourite songs ever. You've used a bit weirdly thoug. Good dark intro to a set, but make no sense to go into a happy clappy rappy song then as it just takes away from it a bit. Doesn't sound quite as dark as the original.

Genre-wise, it is a bit of everything though.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

thanks for the comment about the intro song. I'll def keep it in mind next time i use it to start a set.

Since i've never put myself up against other DJ's (my feedback always comes non-djs) I'd like to ask, would this set be suitable to hand out to bar owners (not necessarily a dance club) as a demo? if not, why? what would you change to it?

thanks!
    Last edited by tauket2; 09-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

Tech Mentor

I would not hand out that set. I don't want to come off as harsh, but you asked, right?

-You NEED to learn how to beatmatch. It'll make your mixes sound 151% better.

-You pick good songs, but you're playing them in the wrong order. Think of your playlist as a journey, a flow of energy. You want to start out chill and slowly build up the energy, not jump all over the place. Start with your slower feeling tracks, then go to the more upbeat party music tracks. Think of how someone would dance to that mix. Slow, fast, electro, chill music, screw it I'm getting a drink.

-Don't worry about what "type" of DJ you are. Just do you. My style is everywhere too, but it's very doable. I think a wide range of styles makes you more interesting to listen to. I think yours is the first soundcloud mix I haven't skipped through.

Tech Mentor

I think that not listening to one genre is better for the people on the dancefloor too, because: When the DJ is playing techno the whole night long, and some people may not like this, then they won't dance. But, if you change genres sometimes, the people on the dancefloor will probably stay, because they are in the dancing mood, they have a beat, its all OK :P! And what DJ Nada says is really true, you got to learn beatmatching or learn the sync button in Traktor!

Yeah man, I would hold off on handing this mix out. Your transitions need a lot of work, try using your eq's more. You should watch some youtube videos on different transitions and practice a few different kinds. I think Ean even has a video with a few?

Trying to give constructive criticism not just bash your mix. It has potential, just need's a little tlc

Tech Mentor

Another word of advice, but with Top40/Hiphop etc I listen and mix songs over and over in different orders to find the songs that "click" Many will disagree but when I go in with a Top40 set I know what songs bring what energy and what songs should go with what, and what order they will be in.

You need to find segway songs. This is a perfect example. I don't like how short OMG is in this, so I redo my own live.
    http://soundcloud.com/dj-playdub/oh-...way-130-125bpm
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer