The "freeze effect"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default The "freeze effect"

as shown here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSWu...ayer_embedded#!

It's a tempo change for two songs with two different tempos.

I'm trying to mix a song from Deck A (133bpm) to the song of Deck B (127bpm) as shown in the video.

So I have the effects exactly as shown in the video with the knobs adjusted slightly to suit my song in Deck A better. When I have my Dry/wet light on, and once I press the freeze button, the track slowly slows down, which is what's supposed to happen.

What I don't understand is, as I am scrolling through the song of Deck B, cueing it up to the part I want to mix into, do I have to press the freeze button for Deck A? (That will turn the light off).

I tried that and Deck B's song did not seamlessly blend into the song, because the beats did not match.

Am I missing something here? I think the tutorial was a bit face paced for me, could someone help me out here...oh and what is a "down beat". Because that seems important to know for this particular tutorial.

Tech Guru

from 133 t o127 I would just keylock the decks and blend them both at 130bpm.

Not sure what video you have but if it's the delay effect with freeze -- the second song is not going to blend in perfect. The fist song should kinda echo out. The down beat is the bass beat...so if you freeze it on the down beat you get a nice boom, boom, boom, fading away like an echo as your next song starts. Works great if your next song has big start like an acapella vocal, or a whooosh that sets up the first beat. The freeze doesn't really work to "blend" beats together.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post

Not sure what video you have but if it's the delay effect with freeze -- the second song is not going to blend in perfect. The fist song should kinda echo out. The down beat is the bass beat...so if you freeze it on the down beat you get a nice boom, boom, boom, fading away like an echo as your next song starts. Works great if your next song has big start like an acapella vocal, or a whooosh that sets up the first beat. The freeze doesn't really work to "blend" beats together.

Thank you for the reply.

Could you go into further detail and explain what a keylock is and how to use it?

See the knob in the mixer section of Traktor labelled key? Click the little light underneath it. That keeps the key of the track the same no matter what tempo you have it set at (up to a point, anyway).

Tech Guru

when I use keylock....there is a music note symbol on the right side of the waveform in each deck. If it's lit the key is locked. What that means in reality is that you can raise or lower the tempo of a song and the vocals or sounds don't sounds all high pitched like the chimpmunks....or super slow either. However the beat/tempo changes but is hardly noticable since it sounds the same. To move up 3bpm and the other down 3bpm you would notice at all with keylock on.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

as i have just woke ap all i can say is TL;DR (too long didnt read)

but i used the freeze effect in the video a few weeks ago and i didnt notice squat. you dont even notice it in the video.

that is all
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    +1

For a 6bpm difference, it's not worth the hassle. Drunkards on the floor won't even notice a 6bpm, hell, maybe even the muso's in the crowd won't realise!

Best to pitch deck 1 down from 133 to 130 and deck 2 up from 127 to 130 to meet for the beat match.

Fair enough if you're just practising it, but the effect is intended more if dropping from a 128bpm house track to a 95bpm hip hop track where there's a noticable difference in tempo.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Wizard

Got a question regarding this technique ... I did this before but today i just couldn't get it to sound properly. Somehow the sound oscilates after i hit pause. It sounds like tempo change is echoed aswell.
    Is this normal or am i missing something?

Tech Wizard

I think I have the same issue as you haybot.. I can do it fine with my hercules and tpro but not with my s4... hmmm?

Tech Wizard

sunmoon,

imo, this vid by ean is just didactically horrible. would really <3 a better explanation of this by ean, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast