Windows Vista question
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Windows Vista question

Hey guys

So I'm looking at buying a new laptop pending I get my bonus this year and I was wondering what the difference is between Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit-s? I've never really looked into this before.

And, more importantly, what is the impact the differences have on Traktor Pro, and the sound card stuff? I know that Vista is getting a lot smoother, so I want to make sure I'm getting what I need, and can use.

Thanks
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

its 32bit processing versus 64 bit processing.
    a lot of people have 64 bit processors these days, but 32bit operating systems cannot make the full use of it. so using a 64bit OS allows you to make full use of the hardware.

in regards to how it affects traktor, it is higher processing power, better and faster number crunching. it will pretty much speed up your performance in traktor. it probably wont affect your soundcard much since the bottleneck is more then likely in the USB, not the processor.

Tech Mentor

PS:
    remember though, that vista is pretty resource intensive. im at 2gigs of RAM and would actually like to have another gig. so remember that when getting vista, you need LOTS of ram in order to make it run well.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Does it require different drivers from the hardware I have, or should that not really be a problem?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

1. 64bit also allows you to have more than 4Gbs of RAM

2. Yes, most likely you will need to download the 64bit version of your drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

3. Personally... I have found 64bit version of Vista Ultimate to be far more stable than the 32bit version.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

I don't have any problems with my hardware or software while using vista (32bit proc and 2GB RAM). I use a vci-100, korg nano pad, maya 44usb (as soundcard) and traktor 3.4. I din't have to install any other drivers, so you would be pretty much good to go most of the time!
    Let the beat control your body...

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    PS:
    remember though, that vista is pretty resource intensive. im at 2gigs of RAM and would actually like to have another gig. so remember that when getting vista, you need LOTS of ram in order to make it run well.
    Nah, I beg to differ.

Got Vista on a Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz @2.62 Ghz, 1 Gb of Ram and I am still able to rock both Ableton and Traktor.
    Being that I only have an E2160 CPU means I am only able to use 32bits Vista.(Which also includes have 4Gb of RAM tops)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --