DJ Set intros - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DJ Set intros

This Saturday I plan on using Mustard Pimps - Gold otherwise it really comes down to the party itself. If its themed or not, who is playing etc... I like to be a bit cheeky in the selections.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

I have a track on my hard drive labelled "We Were in the Dark". I used it on all my recorded mixes as an intro. Looked everywhere to try and find what it is. It's a narrative of some guy with a deep voice speaking, says something along the lines of:

"There was this stranger,
    Came into our town,
    He was tall, dark and had eyes that could look down into the bottom of you
    One night he got us all together in the auditorium
    And there he was on the main stage
    Then
    Out of his tallness came the chanting
    First as a whisper
    We could hardly hear it
    But before we knew it, he'd got us
    We were pulled into his trance
    Bringing us all up to a savage crescendo
    And taking us to what can only be described as
    Ecstacy"

Last few lines are wrong, but it's something similar. It's quite dark and about a minute long. When it reaches the line "came the chanting" I begin my first track quietly in the background with no bass, fading it up slowly in the background. I time it so that after the word ecstacy, there a fraction of a pause of quietness, roll the bass up and drop in the kick of the first track.

Pretentious d!ck may be, but always works a treat. No idea what the track is though!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

@Bunfold: I think that song is either Trapped by Dark Oscillators or Ruin the Dark by DvK...
    If it's just the narrative alone that would be crazy good.

I like to start a mix either with interesting audio samples (could be from songs or shows) or some relatively low energy stuff.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by jdog667jkt View Post
    for a party i used juicy pen - Dj ozi. it was a housey kinda night so it was a fun intro
    hot.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

i sample interesting quotes from movies and tv. nothing too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    @Bunfold: I think that song is either Trapped by Dark Oscillators or Ruin the Dark by DvK...
    If it's just the narrative alone that would be crazy good.

I like to start a mix either with interesting audio samples (could be from songs or shows) or some relatively low energy stuff.
    It is just the narrative. Listened to the songs you suggested, and it seems they sampled this narrative for them songs, rather than the other way around as it's a 2 anda half minute mini story-kind of narrative.

Sounds good though!
    Last edited by Bunford; 09-17-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    i sample interesting quotes from movies and tv. nothing too crazy.
    Yeah. I've done that in the past. If I don't use the above example, I tend to use Keanue Reeves' speech from the end of the first Matrix film as my intro:

"I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of "insert DJ name in an edit of it". You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

And there's a natural build up in the background to where the Rage Against the Machine track "Wake Up" kicks in on the soundtrack, so I just use that and drop the kick of my own track in instead of the Rage Against the Machine one.

I sometimes use this (Tell me where every soundbite is from and you win a virtual cookie ):
    http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/74312632/file.html

But from time to time, when I really feel like it, I also use this wonderful track from the VENTURE BROS soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LNBK4ZfWM

But to be honest, most of the time I don't use any intros, except when I record a mix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12