From the basics to the top (helps) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by elgy View Post
    Yeah I did what you said and it works ok but I find it difficult do it whan deck a is playing (I've just played deck a and b from the start but the matched)
    Thanks!
    Well, if you think that it's too hard to beatmatch (or even hit the sync button...) then you need to be practicing more...you aren't going to be *insert god dj's name here* without being able to beatmatch. Think of it like this, what do you do if your computer crashes, you had best be able to beatmatch at the least. You really should work on that, and I think that the whole digital dj'ing thing makes it hard to learn, because learning to beatmatch just takes time for most people, If you are wanting to learn an order to what you should learn I guess I'd say learn to
    -1 match tempos (beatmatching)
    -2 properly count bars and mix phrases correctly
    -3 Match keys correctly (harmonic mixing)

You probably will learn those three things together in time...so basically I'd say just keep practicing, very few people can just play an instrument without really practicing. DJing well isn't much different

Tech Mentor

Go on to youtube and type in your favourite DJ's name followed by 'live'. For example, 'rusko live'

Find a video filmed from inside the booth and watch what they do. This, as well as practicing a lot and learning from my mistakes, helped me immensely.

Also check out the DJTT youtube channel, its very useful (especially if you have a VCI) and will fill you with creative ideas.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

I started the day I got TP. I started mixing songs together just using the mouse. As its a little difficult to properly EQ mix using mouse, I began by just using the cross fader. This is how I began to understand the basics of phrasing. Every little bit helps. You can read and read and read about djing, but in the end its time spent on the decks that will make you progress.

Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
    Albert Einstein

My first tutorial from here was the beatmapping tut, i remember thinking that it was difficult and when Ean mentioned that he could do it within 20 seconds a track, i thought it impossible, but low and behold I can do the same these days. (1.5 years later)

Eventually my VCI came and I started practicing, at first I was a little disheartened I wasnt really killing it. However I persevered. One day i decided to make my first mix. I took me 3 weeks doing it part time, During this process I learnt a lot. But again that just came down to practice. One thing I feel worth mentioning is that during this time of making the first mix I found the beatjump tool within TP. At first I was counting beats which is important too, but once I found the beatjump tool, everything become easier. For example, Ill find two tracks I like and Ill just randomly drop one over the other to check if they gel, then ill progress to getting an idea of exactly where I want he transition. Say I want the incoming track to drop at this point, I will mark it with a cue then beatjump back maybe 4 times using the 32 beat jump option, Ill mark that cue point. Then once I found were I wont the outgoing track to be taken over by new track. Ill drop a cue here then beatjump back same amount of beats/bars as on incoming track, drop a cue. then its a matter of just mashing the tracks as per the cues and playing with the EQ's.... sometimes it dosnt work so you will make it a shorter transition, this is easily achieved by moving cue points using beatjump and then having another go.

Like i said, my first mix took me a long time, and I learnt a lot. In-between my first mix and the next I went out and bought a mixer and CDJ's because I felt it was important to learn to use them and beatmatch... And I love it, I feel that my skills ( and i use the term loosely) on CDJ's compliment what I can do using Traktor and vice versa....

Whilst trying to find the Einstein quote I had forgotten above, i found a couple more that are maybe pertinent:

imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Information is not knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem.
    Albert Einstein

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Albert Einstein

And these to a lesser extent

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
    Albert Einstein

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    Albert Einstein

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
    Albert Einstein

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
    Albert Einstein
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Wizard

What do you mean with beatjump tool?, I mean where is in traktor? and That beatmapping tutorial is an article of Ean?
    Thanks again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123