Behringer VMX100 vs. Stanton M212

Default Behringer VMX100 vs. Stanton M212

Hey forum!

It's my first post and question here and I would basically consider myself as a newbie to the making of electronic music.

I need some kind of mixer mainly because I have recently found a mic with 6,3 jack in a closet at home plus I want to use a record player we have at home to get and use samples on my pc. I have added a link to each of the two I compared to provide you with the specs.

A friend of mine recommended to buy a Behringer VMX100, which costs about 80 euros (~104USD).
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVMX100

Another one I have seen is the Stanton M212, which costs 88 Euros (~114USD).
    http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR286867

Which one would you recommend to fit my needs? Or is there another solution you would rather advise me to buy? If there was a mixer with significantly more (important) features, I'd surely be able to spend a little more money.

cheers

Well I don't quite get you what you want to do exactly, but I will try to help!
    First the mic thing. Don't get confused with its connector (jack) and orient by that. There are all kind of very cheap adapters for those stuff.
    Second, does you record player has an output or are you planning to use mic to record its sound?
    And finally for the mixer, I thing it would be better to chose one from Numark or Gemini, there are better quality then behringer and stanton. At that price range you have Gemini ps 424x and Numark m1 and m2.

hey your obviously looking for a pretty basic mixer, another one that is also in your price range you should consider is the numark m4

http://www.numark.com/m4

Its alright and got three channels, record out etc, I also own the stanton and probably wouldn't recommend it.

elliot
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

The two things I want to do are:

1. Use samples in my songs, which means I need something to put inbetween pc and record player (=pre amp).

2. Use a mic to record vocals.

Thanks for the numark, gonna look into that one. The two mixers I've mentioned got USB. Advantage, disadvantage there? What do you think about the Behringer?

all the mixers you mention are analog.To use a mixer with a computer you will need a sound card probably and audio 2 dj or audio 4 dj made by native instruments. Do not know anything about the behringer so can't comment. Am unsure that it is mixer you need for what you want to do.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Mentor

i got the behringer vmx 200 (which has 3 band EQ), i think its only a bit more expensive as I paid around 150$ in Switzerland. Sound quality is ok for a beginner and it does what I need it to do and it feels quite good

Those mixers you have mentioned have usb only for recording main output to pc. They don't have an sound card built in, so for mixing from a computer with traktor or v-dj you will have to use either audio 2 dj sound card (in case for using with laptop) or you can use 5.1 card in your PC.
    The Behringer mixers have low performance quality. I only see logic in buying behringer for total beginners, for learning, just as in my case as I bought DJX 750 pro, since I wanted cheap 4 chanel mixer. Their EQ's are terrible.
    Also, if you think (as I was thinking) that BPM counters will come in handy, they are totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by steffanko View Post
    Those mixers you have mentioned have usb only for recording main output to pc. They don't have an sound card built in, so for mixing from a computer with traktor or v-dj you will have to use either audio 2 dj sound card (in case for using with laptop) or you can use 5.1 card in your PC.
    The Behringer mixers have low performance quality. I only see logic in buying behringer for total beginners, for learning, just as in my case as I bought DJX 750 pro, since I wanted cheap 4 chanel mixer. Their EQ's are terrible.
    Also, if you think (as I was thinking) that BPM counters will come in handy, they are totally useless.
    mixing at this point is not needed whatsoever. I am just in my little room producing some music in front of my pc. I have stated which connections I need. My friend already told me about that thing with the bpm counters, but I don't need them really.

So do I need anything else like an extra pre amp or would any of these mixers be enough to record songs from records and record some vocals?

cheers guys

Filterkat

all the berhinger mixers accept for the DDM4000 sound like crap, and break after a year or 2... id reccomend a Numark mixer, or a reloop mixer in that price range, their EQ's actually sound pretty good... as for a soundcard... because you will need one to record the inputs into your computer... unfortunately the audio2DJ wont do because it only has outputs, no inputs, youd need at least an audio 4. but if your looking for something on a budget... theres plenty of companies that do interfaces with both ins/outs at a reasonable price... just dont expect them to sound like a more expensive card...

anything audio... you get what you pay for really... stay away from berhinger mixers accept the DDM4000.

if your not going to be using the mixer for mixing... personally i dont see what the point of getting one is... you can record things just fine with an audio interface with a descent amount of inputs, which you will need anyway to record into your PC... and as for the mic... just make sure you find an interface with a mic preamp... Unfortunately i dont think you will find anything descent as far as audio interfaces for under 200 bucks... have a look on ebay though, you might get lucky.