VCI-300 Jog Wheel & Carbon Conductive Grease
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-300 Jog Wheel & Carbon Conductive Grease

This guy made a video of a problem with his VCI-300's right jog wheel.

[youtube]5KKlYi20cnU&feature=related[/youtube]

My right jog wheel on my VCI-300 has done the same thing pretty much since I bought it refurbed. I've taken it apart twice now (most recently over Labor Day Weekend) and when I put it back together it works great for a day and then reverts back to the problem.

Then I ran into this VCI-100 pic from the How to Fix Glitchy Faders and Jog Wheels post:

Because I've seen the guts of my VCI-300 twice now, I instantly recognized the ground finger as they appear to be the same/similar in both devices. That post talks about conductive grease, which I found online for $12 here. Also, some other guy wrote in the comments of his YouTube video (showcasing the same problem on his left jog wheel) that he got his fixed at a local electronics shop for $10.

TRYING TO CONNECT THE DOTS
    Using the transitive property of algebra, I'm thinking that touching my VCI-300 jog wheel pushes the rod down which provides a connection to the ground finger, that connection in turn provides the signal that the platter is depressed. If I am correct, then that is the signal that is getting interrupted and causing my sad panda times.

BUT... a little carbon conductive grease lube job will solve all my problems.

So I'm wondering a couple things:

1. Have I got it right? Is this the problem and the solution?
    2. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it this way permanently?
    3. If so, where can I get carbon conductive grease locally? (Best Buy and Radio Shack online searches don't return this product)
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

After cruising to local computer shops, hardware stores and even AutoZone, I finally got around to ordering this from Amazon:

It turns out that electric toy trains use conductive grease to keep things moving... Every local hobby store I called knew what it was but unfortunately didn't carry it.

Anyway, so I took my VCI-300 apart this past Friday, lubed both the ground finger and the rod generously, put everything back together... and as of today it is still working fine. <jinx alert>

The last time I took it apart, but didn't lube it, everything seemed fine but the problem resurfaced that Sunday evening. So, needless to say, I'm really hoping the worst is behind me here, and it's fixed for good. <fingers crossed>
    blog | twitter

Default 17 Days Later

What I hate about everything I've found on-line regarding this problem is that there is never any follow up. People always say something about the problem getting fixed, but it's never clear whether the fix is temporary or longer lasting...

So I'm here to tell you that it has been 17 days and the platter is still operating properly with no signs of the problem whatsoever. I'm pretty pumped about it, and have been enjoying my VCI-300 immensely.

It seems that all it needed was a little conductive grease FTW!
    blog | twitter

Tech Guru

Sweet man. Thanks for the follow-up.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Yea man, I defo want this info out there as the problem really frustrated me for some time, and I basically had to figure it out on my own. I ordered an S4 and was planning on selling my VCI-300, but it is super fun to tool around with and seems worthy of keeping now.

I noticed that you have multiple controllers, haze. How does that work out for you? Is it worth having more than one?
    blog | twitter

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's great!! Another thing to think about if someone stumbles across this is if the finger is getting good contact with the post. I've heard of some who had to bend that finger just a tad towards the post to make better contact. BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT. Also the lube you used is more liquid than the grease I used in the video, but it should still work fine. Might just need to re-apply more often.

This would probably last the rest of your life.

http://www.altex.com/MG-Chemicals-Ca...G-P144963.aspx
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    That's great!! Another thing to think about if someone stumbles across this is if the finger is getting good contact with the post. I've heard of some who had to bend that finger just a tad towards the post to make better contact. BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT. Also the lube you used is more liquid than the grease I used in the video, but it should still work fine. Might just need to re-apply more often.

This would probably last the rest of your life.

http://www.altex.com/MG-Chemicals-Ca...G-P144963.aspx
    Yea I need to thank you for making that post and video, photojojo. It really helped me out a lot. Thank you.

With regards to the lube... it was a toss up between the MG chemicals grease and the EZ Lube and I went with the lube because I could get it from Amazon. The wife was ordering something anyway and it put us over the top for free shipping...
    blog | twitter

Tech Student

Default Thanks photojojo and hallicious!

This was the exact info I needed. From message boards and Youtube, I've been scouring the net for solutions. I stumbled across Youtube vids from users "fotifo" and "noudo" which helped me get comfortable with cracking open my VCI 300 MKII. Those fixes proved to be only temporary as the issue reared its ugly head again last night after a few mix sessions.

Today, I came across photojojo's tutorial on "VCI 100 fader fix" and finally felt like I had a solution for my jog wheels. This thread further proves that I need to lube the post/contact metal. Just ran out to MicroCenter on my lunch break and bought a tube of MG Chemicals Carbon Conductive Grease (only tube in stock, phew...) and am excited to fix my controller later tonight.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS! I'll follow up with my results too.

Quote Originally Posted by rmr1r View Post
    This was the exact info I needed. From message boards and Youtube, I've been scouring the net for solutions. I stumbled across Youtube vids from users "fotifo" and "noudo" which helped me get comfortable with cracking open my VCI 300 MKII. Those fixes proved to be only temporary as the issue reared its ugly head again last night after a few mix sessions.

Today, I came across photojojo's tutorial on "VCI 100 fader fix" and finally felt like I had a solution for my jog wheels. This thread further proves that I need to lube the post/contact metal. Just ran out to MicroCenter on my lunch break and bought a tube of MG Chemicals Carbon Conductive Grease (only tube in stock, phew...) and am excited to fix my controller later tonight.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS! I'll follow up with my results too.
    Awesome! Please do follow up as this seemed to be a problem for more than a few people with VCI 300s.
    blog | twitter

Tech Student

Default Easy does it!

I cracked the VCI 300 MKII open on Friday night, carefully greased the gold post and contact area with the conductive grease. And whaddya know... It worked like magic. Been messin with the VCI everyday since and platters are working as it should, with every touch/scratch registering on point.

As a precautionary measure, I also bought a Decksaver cover for the VCI to prolong the time between maintenance.

I can't thank Hallicious and Photojojo enough as you guys saved me from frustration and headaches with your videos and posts. So very appreciated!!!

Back to havin fun, learning and n00b mixing lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast