New to the Game

Thread: New to the Game

Tech Convert

Default New to the Game

hi I'm looking at getting into djing but i don't know whether to get a controller or a set of turntables any info would be great. also I'm leaning on getting traktor pro. but i don't know if i get Traktor scratch pro will it also work with a controller or would i need to also get Traktor pro. and are there any big differences between traktor and serato

Tech Guru

Seach the site for some articles there are many on here that will help guide you. What it all boils down to is what you prefer. Many new people find it easier to use controllers while some albeit fewer and fewer as time goes on find turntables are the way to go. If you have Traktor Scratch Pro that will work with either a controller or Turntables. If you go turntables it's a little bit more of an investment as you also need an Audio 4 or higher (maybe an Audio 8 i'm not 100% on that) and the whole Traktor Scratch Pro package which runs somewhere in the 500$ range could be more where as if you got a decent controller your looking at 300-400 for the controller which usually comes with Traktor LE. LE can be upgraded for cheap to any of the higher versions of Traktor. Hope this helps. Like I said search for any of Ean's articles on the subject there are many. This site does tend to lean towards Controllers/Traktor as a whole but there are still many on here who use neither or maybe one and not the other so feel free to experiment with a little bit of everything. Good Luck

If you have a lot of records, or a lot of money to buy records, or if you like lugging a bunch of heavy stuff around everywhere, then I'd go the turntable route.
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY, "THE GAME!" ARG!

Anger aside. I would start with a digital setup, as it is where everything is moving and it's easier, if not that I would go CD players. My best recommendation would be to buy yourself an Audio 2 DJ and a digital controller that's cheap (if you want to do more you can always move up). I started using an oxygen25 and Ean's mapping, but I set the new fader on the 25 series as a mixer, this might be a good start, but something like the Vestax Typhoon would do you more good.

In short, get a soundcard, get a cheap digital controller, practice, get good, buy more expensive stuff (some controllers even have the soundcard built-in, which would be a good start). A full DVS setup (turntables + scratch pro) would be overkill for a beginner, just get Traktor Pro and something simple.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

1. What kind of computer do you have
    2.What style of music do you want to play
    3.Do you want to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    so feel free to experiment with a little bit of everything. Good Luck
    Especially now there are so many choices to choose from but I think what
    bart boy said holds alot of water. Choose a software package that bests suites your style and has the capability of using a variety of controllers.

Tech Convert

I am also new to this game.
    I love Disco Music & Dj.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Your a spammer ... go play your Ben Ten games and leave the forum alone please.