VCI-300 Mapping (Flashflooder SE) for Traktor Pro

View Poll Results: Would you purchase a VCI-300 overlay from DJTT for this mapping?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 86.75%
  • No

11 13.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Talking VCI-300 Mapping (Flashflooder SE) for Traktor Pro

Hey guys (and gals),

After a fair amount of thought and mapping hours I developed a VCI-300 mapping for Traktor Pro from scratch. FYI, I did this on my own and have not yet consulted Ean or the rest of the DJTT team on the design.

I meant to look at a lot of the other VCI-300 mappings others have made in the forum and take bits and pieces of what I liked but honestly I never got around to it so I just made a design that made the most sense to me given the button and layout constraints.

In the attached zip file you will find the tsi and a picture showing the button function layout. There are also some hidden functions not shown on the layout.

For example, the center push button acts as a secondary shift (Shift2) but is only used for FX Presets (Shift2 + "Cue 1/2/3" buttons) and to select chained effects in FX Control Mode (Shift2 + EQ knobs).

In some cases the LED states don't load properly when importing the tsi. An easy way to check/fix this is to toggle the Juggle Mode and Scratch buttons for each deck.

I could go on explaining everything but I think most of you can figure the rest out. If you have questions, find bugs (I know there are at least a few), or have general comments, please post them below!

If there are enough people who like this mapping I may do some updates to it in the future and DJTT may potentially produce some overlays for it.

Tech Guru

FF,

Awesome work man. Just played with this for about 30 minutes. BY FAR the best 300 mapping out there. Honestly it just makes sense. Props to you. Questions, Bugs, and Tips for others.

1. How do you turn on individual effects? I pressed shift and turn the knob and it kinda turned on and off, but was hard to control or be precise? Honestly I think this is the hardest challenge of the 300 and why adding an X1 makes sense, I think I'll mainly stick to Fader FX mode.

2. Fader FX mode bug. The third effect does not turn on when I bring the volume fader all the way down.

3. Tips - in Hotcue mode you can not hit shift and press an FX preset only when you are in FX control mode. No real issue, just remember your buttons can't be green. Gonna try to map shift + filter to control the gain. Also gonna map Snap and Quant somewhere. Didn't see them. Jogs work great....did you use Zac's mapping? Delay and Freeze. Hard to do a build up and then freeze it. It's either run the delay or freeze it, a little different than the 100, but still cool to have the instant effect. Slicer works perfect. No issued with decks C&D. Scrolling for songs and tree also work flawless.

FF props. This thing is tight work. Thank you for time to do this.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

I haven't tested yet but....is there a headphone cue? I don't see it on your map. Looks great BTW!
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

BB,

Yeah brother after playing for a little while on this I couldn’t find a headphone cue button? Here’s what I’m thinking….assign the two pitch bend buttons to shift+pitch bend to assign effects 1 and 2 to the decks. Then the button two buttons to control effects can be shift + button (turns eq’s into effects knobs) leaving those buttons free to map headphone cue. I know it’s a lot of shifting going on to use the effects, but honestly having to use the EQ’s to control the effects just didn’t feel natural. I am however digging instant fx from just pressing a button.

Question to those using this. What effects do you guys like to use that do not require any knobs and can be done with just a button. The beatmasher was a good one to hit just prior to a big drop. The filter also worked well as way to kill the lows. Gater is ok. Wondering if anyone has a combo or “superbutton” type effects we could map to instant effects.

I’ll try to do the headphone cue mapping tonight and post it.

FF, again thanks for you work with this man!!!

Tech Wizard

Thank you for this, have had a little play and everything works very well.
    To be honest I'm more of a simple hip hop DJ and so full on VCI-100 effects are over my head - but of course I can customise the buttons for myself.

Volume display on the VCI-300 seems to work perfectly.
    The jog wheels seem to have a ramp-up issue similar to that on the early firmware versions of the 100, if you're scratching and just let go the sound takes a split second for the sound to catch up, I've found I need to push the jogwheel so the sample starts playing on time and instantly after releasing.

For some reason my cross fader has some bleed even when set at the sharpest setting on the CF knob as well as internally set as sharp/cut in Traktor setting.

Hopefully the LED problem will be remedied by future Traktor update.

Many thanks.

Tech Student

Firstful I want to say huge thanks to you FF. I like how you used every button in your configuration (except I don't need to copy tracks, so I put there back headphone queing)! I will looking for every update of it!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Qlix View Post
    Firstful I want to say huge thanks to you FF. I like how you used every button in your configuration (except I don't need to copy tracks, so I put there back headphone queing)! I will looking for every update of it!
    Same here. Attached is a tsi with headphone cueing. PFL A and B are now the headphone cues and to activate decks C and D it's shift + PFL A or B. The LED comes when you are in decks C and D not the headphone cue. Gotta look at the screen for that. I'm diggin the TSI but could use better control of the effects. Currently I'm controlling them all thru fader FX or just pressing the buttons. Turning them on and off thru the EQ's is pretty tricky.

FF is this possible instead of having all six buttons used to cut up the sampler. Could three of those be used to turn on and off the effects and still have three to cut up the sampler? I think this is a happy medium and gives you the best of both worlds. I tried looking at the tsi but got lost with the sampler modifiers. My skills are not there yet.

Sorry for the delayed responses. It's been a busy week.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    1. How do you turn on individual effects? I pressed shift and turn the knob and it kinda turned on and off, but was hard to control or be precise? Honestly I think this is the hardest challenge of the 300 and why adding an X1 makes sense, I think I'll mainly stick to Fader FX mode.
    Shift + turning the EQ knobs in FX Control mode turns the Effect on with any movement and will turn it off if you move the knob all the way left to its zero position. I wanted to have buttons for the chained fx on/off buttons but space didn't really allow it. To get around this I either use the above Shift function or I use an Instant FX button to turn it on (push to hold the effect or shift plus press to toggle) and then use the Effect/EQ Knob (while in FX Control mode) to mess with the fx amount.

2. Fader FX mode bug. The third effect does not turn on when I bring the volume fader all the way down.
    This third effect was the result of a modification of the VCI-100 firmware that had the level faders send out a midi note signal at the bottom position of the faders. As far as I know, this is currently not possible with the current VCI-300 firmware.

3. Tips - in Hotcue mode you can not hit shift and press an FX preset only when you are in FX control mode. No real issue, just remember your buttons can't be green. Gonna try to map shift + filter to control the gain. Also gonna map Snap and Quant somewhere. Didn't see them. Jogs work great....did you use Zac's mapping? Delay and Freeze. Hard to do a build up and then freeze it. It's either run the delay or freeze it, a little different than the 100, but still cool to have the instant effect. Slicer works perfect. No issued with decks C&D. Scrolling for songs and tree also work flawless.
    I like most of your comments/tips. If there are enough recommendations/changes everyone wants I would be happy to do an update to the mapping within a week or so.

Same here. Attached is a tsi with headphone cueing. PFL A and B are now the headphone cues and to activate decks C and D it's shift + PFL A or B. The LED comes when you are in decks C and D not the headphone cue. Gotta look at the screen for that. I'm diggin the TSI but could use better control of the effects. Currently I'm controlling them all thru fader FX or just pressing the buttons. Turning them on and off thru the EQ's is pretty tricky.

FF is this possible instead of having all six buttons used to cut up the sampler. Could three of those be used to turn on and off the effects and still have three to cut up the sampler? I think this is a happy medium and gives you the best of both worlds. I tried looking at the tsi but got lost with the sampler modifiers. My skills are not there yet.
    I agree that the headphone cue's are probably more important and should have been integrated. I'll add them in for the eventual update.

As for your Effect button idea, I actually wrestled with that exact idea you explained but thought it might be more confusing to know if you were in fx control, sample slicer mode, or something else. It can definitely be done though. See the comment I posted in the message before this on better ways to utilize the FX controls, but if even after that you and others agree that it would be more useful to have the buttons in fx control mode, I could do it.

Please continue to post things you like and dislike about the mapping so I can compile all the ideas in a future update. Thanks!

Tech Guru

Flash, your the man....understand your a busy guy and the 300 is additional project for you. Thanks for your help. Been messing around with the mapping and added some "super" buttons that load three chained effects, turn them on, and set a parameter, then on Fader FX i'm using the jog to bring up the dry wet. It does limit the full use of the effects, but I'm finding it easy and quick to load some of my favorite effects and not have to worry about messing with the EQ's and worry about them messing up the sound. Sometimes less is more. Sucks about the firmware -- but your mapping has made the 300 a very usable controller with TP. Thanks again man.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast