Bandwagoner's are relentless!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bandwagoner's are relentless!

It's really becoming evident of how big acts like Deadmau5 are .. I don't want to say ruining, but drawing outside attention, to my beloved music. No hatred to Deadmau5 personally as I know it's his job and the more people listening to you the more cash you're bringing in, gotta make a living after all.

It's kind of like a double edged sword for me: In one way I want/need people to accept electronic music so that I can have an audience that wants to hear the music I play. But on the other hand I feel like there are so many bandwagon/posers coming out of the woodwork recently it's almost scary how fast it's happening (This is the US just to clarify)

I was playing a party last night and threw on Dirty Disco Youth remix of Ghosts n Stuff .. cause its a big song right now and I like that remix. Instantly a kid comes up and says "Hey! You like Deadmau5?!?" ... "No not really, I think he is pretty boring" Which is honestly how I feel ... The kid was almost taken aback that I wasn't like "Yeah dude can't get enough Deadmau5!!" I just felt like shaking my head in annoyance haha. Call me a hater, but its just starting to annoy me.

Am I alone here? Or is anyone else feeling the same way?

It's like how 'warp' completely ruined the bloody beetroots for so many of us. Sure, sold 100,000 singles and made them the most sought-after act for about a year, but every c*nt is now like 'oh do you know the bloody beetroots they're sick' etc..

I don't want to seem like I only like artists because other people don't know about them to make me feel special or whatever, but it's more annoying when the 'bandwagoner's' jump all over something you've been following for ages when they don't really know anything about the genre and such..

I don't know, you're right that without underground acts seeping into mainstream a lot of what dj's play wouldn't be accepted and we'd be stuck playing top 40 trash..

Quite the pickle

The worst part about it is that after something gets popular you go to see a show and there are 5,000 teeny boppers in the way, off their tits waiting to hear the one song they know

way to get me worked up dude!

Yeah true about the Beetroots as well, I don't know why it even matters, but it almost seems like a group becomes tarnished when they hit the big time audience ... It's stupid to feel that way but that's the way it is for some of us I guess.

I know that music is just about having a good time, and I feel bad hating on other people enjoying the music ... but I just can't help but be annoyed at times when you interact with someone you clearly know doesn't really take the time to understand the music or where it came from. That's just my personal feelings on the matter.

im waiting to see how long it takes the chicago burbs where i live to start 'loving' mau5

ill shed a tear like a native american
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Well I'm sure it won't be too long ... the Boston burbs seem to be 'loving' Deadmau5 no problem...

I've noticed that most everyone needs some kind of a bridge to get into electronic dance music. So whenever they find one and want to talk to me about it, I like to hip them to two-three other names that can bring them deeper down the rabbit hole with us...
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

Hallicious, I'm all for introducing people to electronic music who care to know and actually want to delve deeper into the genre(s) but I feel like 95% of those people who are getting into the music now are not that way ... that they are just flowing with the trend.

It's all cyclical...

In the Midwestern US, 15 years ago it was progressive trance that was getting people into "the scene" then it was Hard House/Trance/NRG , (though I may have imagined that for the US, I was overseas in the military for 5 years and I noticed them happening abroad)and then it was *really popular Genre*... and now it's deadmau5, really the guy makes good tunes but it is just plain boring to me... Nothing wrong with people liking something, and by extension playing something that your dancefloor wants to hear (which too many djs forget) and there will always be a place for the "Gateway" sounds.

Tech Mentor

So you don't want people listening to the music you play unless they have put their homework in?
    Everyone has to start somewhere with their love of a genre. I had it myself recently when I discovered dubstep. All I was listening to was Caspa. From Caspa I moved on to listening to many other artists and styles of dubstep, but it all started from 1 artist.

Even if the crowd don't have a love and respect for all the music you are playing, isn't it better to have a crowd than not have 1?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast