I have some gear options for me
    Tech Mentor

Default I have some gear options for me

Hi,

im currently mixing on a Novation 25sl MKII keyboard and VDJ/traktor(for some certain songs). Its working for my parties, but me and my mate want to go further, and this being HIS keyboard i need to get myself some gear.

He's more the creative type, "cans plays guitars", and im better at mixing and doing the DJ thing (loops cues beat juggling that sort)

So i have a few options for me that i can get that cost around the same dollar amount and i would like some advice on what hardware to get.

Numark Mixdeck is a nice options, i know the all in ones are kind of frowned upon, but i think it would be nice. Retails for $600 ish.

The Traktor S4 when it comes out,
    everyone on here knows what this is.

craigslist option
    a guy in my town is selling 2 CDJ-400 and a kork Kaoss 202 mixer for $900 bucks. question on this can the CDJ-400 read timecodes from VDJ and traktor? Sync tracks and let me do clubstyle mixing and eventually live performance mixing of say, my buddies guitar , live?

If you want more info on what we plan on doing with our setup live just ask. Thanks

Tech Wizard

The CDJ's will work fine for a timecode setup. The mixer is not setup for directly plugging in a guitar. You could probably get away with miking the guitar's amp though. If you're looking to do more cue juggling and looping the midi controllers are the better option. The trouble with your initial question is there is no right answer. All of your proposed setups are good options, just don't get too focused on any one. Go to your local music store and try as many different pieces of equipment as possible. What ever feels the best and works for you is what you need to buy.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Tech Mentor

if you had to pick your first setup, from what i offered, what would be the best? I found a guy selling the Numark Battle pack in my town for cheap that im going to check out today. Can i get timecode vinyls for it and hook it up to VDJ and Traktor?

thanks

Tech Wizard

If you pick up the Numark Battle pack you will also need to buy at least Traktor Scratch Duo to enable timecode control. I'm not familiar with VDJ so I'm not sure what's all involved. I come from a pure vinyl background so a turntable setup is very comfortable for me. I'm getting sick of having to carry heavy turntables, so I've been getting more into controllers. My strategy of buying equipment is start with small inexpensive stuff like my LPD8 and limit myself on features until I really figure out what I want.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

CDJ-400s do not use timecode, it's straight HID using USB. No need for timecode CDs. And i think that's a great deal for $900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFm7uzrB_E

Here's an in depth review, which covers everything. Although in that video he says Traktor isn't supported, it is now. The video is over two years old so it's all good now.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

so after checking out the Battle pack i think i may get it just due to price. It's the battle pack, plus a hard coffin and the mixer is on feet that raise it up.

$150

I checked it out, played some vinyl i have scratched. Baller. It's not the current v4 model on the site, but its still DAMN nice for the price, plus the cables and coffin.

I can get Virtual Vinyl or Scratch (advice on which would be better, im coming from a Virtual DJ experienced backround) and be setup square.

@OmniRoss
    asking around and people agree, it is a good deal. I think me and my partner may just go for them because they are such a steal. The guy on craigslist has had them on the site for a while asking for different prices and now currently (update) is asking NAME YOUR PRICE. Any advice on what i could ask for them?

Start low, that's my motto!
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

you and my mom have the same motto......dammit!

im going to see if i can check them out sometime this week. We Alaskans get our dividends in a week or two so i got 1200 bucks from da govmint coming to me.

Tech Guru

i would get the better quality gear vs. the better priced gear.

If not you'll end up wanting to upgrade eventually and then spend more money in th end. CDJ-400's have been around for sometime and are solid investments. I also think the S4 is going to be an awesome product. S4 Software, Controller, AND sound card. All-in-one!

Do the numbers and see what is the BEST gear you can buy for your budget.
    Last edited by haze324; 09-28-2010 at 05:26 AM.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300