How do i connect my new monitor speakers?
    Tech Student

Default How do i connect my new monitor speakers?

Hi producers/djs i got a noob question, yesterday i bought the KRK 6 , there was this day that i decided to get the m audio fast track usb because i thought it was a sound card but now that i know some more about hardware this is for guitar recording and mic, but i still had sound from my pc.

it has a unbalanced rca output, balanced trs and balanced xlr, now... would it be posible to connect this 2 monitors some how to the main audio input or somehow to the outputs of my m audio fast track usb?:S sorry guys i really dont know nothing about this, if i need to buy some other sound interface tell me! i think i did wrong buying this thing. I used it mainly before with my headphones the sound was better on my pc than with my default sound card.

=( , thanks in advance
    Last edited by Sideplug; 09-21-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Tech Mentor

The only way I can see is through the RCA outs on you soundcard to the individual RCA ins on the monitors.

The XLR and TRS are both inputs. The headphone TRS is obviously only for headphones.

All you'll need is a male to male RCA or 'phono' cable (if the two cables are attatched or 'glued' you may need to pull them apart) and connect the white output to your left speaker, and the red output to your right speaker. Simples.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    The only way I can see is through the RCA outs on you soundcard to the individual RCA ins on the monitors.

The XLR and TRS are both inputs. The headphone TRS is obviously only for headphones.

All you'll need is a male to male RCA or 'phono' cable (if the two cables are attatched or 'glued' you may need to pull them apart) and connect the white output to your left speaker, and the red output to your right speaker. Simples.
    Thanks alot james really apreciate that info. So i would get STEREO sound because im using two speakers right?(But what does that unbalanced mean then? you also suggest i should get some other soundcard in the future for better audio quality? thanks again

P.D: im about to go to the store. are all RCA cables same size like 1/4, 1/8?

Tech Mentor

RCA cables have all the same size connectors, just ensure you get a male to male cable.

and yes, you will (should) get a stereo sound.

Unbalanced is to do with stereo or left/right sound. XLR's are balanced as they send both left and right signal in the one cable. RCA's are unbalanced as they send one side of the signal in each cable, hence the two cables and the left/right around each connection terminal.

Sound shouldn't be too much of an issue from that sound card, just make sure your monitors aren't on a hard surface, put them under foam or something.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

@JamesT

Actually Balanced vs unbalanced has nothing to do with left or right/stereo imaging. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio in regards to balanced signals. Suffice it to say balanced signals are mostly used with Pro gear and send a signal @ +4dbu and unbalanced is mostly used with consumer or prosumer gear sending a signal @-10dbv. Balanced cabling is useful for driving unwanted noise to ground and keeping it out of the audio signal.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

Split up a regular RCA / Cinch cable and use it.