Transfer of energy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Transfer of energy

Hello all,

I have a quick question for anyone who cares to answer it. I've only been DJing for about 4 months now and still have a few key things that I feel I am missing. This past weekend I went to a club in Ft.Lauderdale and was blown away by what the DJ was doing. My question is, how is it that as a DJ, you keep the energy level constant from one song to another? It was non-stop bumping in that club, with your usual peaks and buildups/dropoffs, but it seemed almost like the DJ was using loops over the songs perhaps? Maybe dropping the bass out of the hip hop song and using a 4/4 drum loop to keep a constant beat throughout the set? Not sure if that makes sense. It was mostly Hip Hop music which generally (unless you're kanye west..haha) isn't a 4/4 beat..but all (or MOST) of these were steady 4/4's. What it did for the set was amazing to me.. (Yeah I know, newb..) no matter which song he went in to, it seemed to just be non stop bumpage I did notice that the DJ was using one laptop, and traktor...so there was no live remixing in ableton as far as I could see.. so would my solution be to use bass drum loops over hip hop songs with the bass EQ'd out? ..Or would it be to buy remixed tracks of the particular songs I want and use that to mix with? I definately would prefer to do it all myself..but is this possible with Traktor - On The Fly?

its more likely he had his own edits or some remixes

as for keeping the flow, you can pick songs by ear, or you can mix in key

i dont know about mixing in key, so ill let someone else explain that
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

Well I'm not really concerned with the song selection aspect of it as far as mixing in key..I have a firm grasp on that..it's more of the consistent bass drum sound throughout the mix that kept me dancing steadily. It must have been re-edits. Is it as simple as just removing the bass frequencies from the original and adding your own drums?

well, no, because the low eq isnt just the bass, youll find that takeing that out all the way can ruin most male vocals and make the song sound a bit off

so to fix that you can use the 1 o' clock rule (dont go past the 11 o clock or 1 o clock positions on the eq) but being at 11 still has too much bass, and if you go past that you will probably run in to problems

solution: its probably a remix/ club mix
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Wizard

If you can find two songs that are in key and have a somewhat matching chorus, then it can have more energy then the songs by themselves. It's pretty hard to find a good combination though.

I'd suggest just playing around with songs and try to come up with something unique. If you try at it long enough you'll find a nice transition in there somewhere. Also, if you are in traktor make use of the loop/beat jumping, it's like having your own club mix but better.

yeah there are a bunch of top 40 dance remixes out there, they are staples of the club dj.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

Ok, so if they are making these remixes...are they only possible with stems? Say for instance... If I wanted to make a KoRn track into a dance song..no way to do this live without already having a remix on my HDD for this?

Tech Mentor

I know that is a vague question, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on this because it's something that I _really_ would like to do.. (not just rock/metal tracks... just in general)

There isn't a step by step for edits and remixes.

It's going to be a long and constant learning process: using a lot of your own ideas, figuring out how to do things with what equipment and software you have lying around, and the technical advice of people who know more than you do. This forum is a nice starting point.

Eventually you'll teach yourself how to make edits out of necessity for your DJ purposes. The next logical step is using what you've learned there until one day you realize your latest 'edit' project has completely transformed the track into a full-blown remix.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    My question is, how is it that as a DJ, you keep the energy level constant from one song to another?
    track selection and timing - that's all there is to it. work on dropping the right track at the right position and time and you've got this by the ass.

//edit: for most people it's gonna take a bit longer than 4 months to figure it out, don't push yourself too hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast