For new DJ VCI 100SE + Midi Fighter or Traktor S4
    Tech Wizard

Default For new DJ VCI 100SE + Midi Fighter or Traktor S4

Ok so I'm just getting into DJing, a few friends of mine own controllers so I've been practicing on those and learning how to use Traktor Pro with my keyboard/mouse. I feel like I'm making good progress and want to move to a physical controller. I am aware that both the VCI 100SE and Traktor S4 are VERY high end controllers especially for someone just getting into things (I almost feel guilty considering buying either ) but I'd rather get a good controller than a piece of junk and just end up buying a nice one a few months later. I've been watching the videos for the S4 and it looks sick, plus its got enough cue points so that I wouldn't need to get a midi fighter (I've been juggling with just my keyboard so far and I'm really warming up to it). I've been running the numbers and the Price difference between a VCI 100SE + Midi Fighter + Sound Card (All Used) is only $200 less than the Traktor S4 setup (BRAND NEW!). For a new DJ would you guys suggest dishing out the extra $200 or would I be squandering my money on something that will take me years to take advantage of?

Tech Mentor

It will take you time to get the full advantage of any piece of equipment. go with which one pulls your interest more. The S4 offers some great new features with its software but the VCI 100se also has its ups plus a great community already behind it.

Tech Wizard

Since I don't own either one its somewhat difficult for me to compare them, which features does the S4 have which the VCI-100SE lacks? Keeping in mind the new Firmware too

The S4 integrates all the features of the forthcoming software updates already in the interface. I'm sure we'll have a VCI mapping soon that also does this but the S4 will integrate it all elegantly in an interface designed by NI. If I were in your position that's what I'd probably do. But if you like to tinker and you like the user community you see on this website, the VCI/MIDI fighter combo may be the way to go. I personally like that I have a separate soundcard rather than an all in one controller, but it does make my setup more unwieldy. The VCI with the new firmware and the various features of the djtt mapping has some killer effects combos built in -- but I'm sure someone will map the S4 to do similar things relatively soon.
    Last edited by djproben; 09-22-2010 at 06:49 PM.