VCI-100 with Traktor Pro (4 decks/each selectable separately) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What my intensions for this .tsi is to be able to use it without any midi translators, even though I will probably check out the programs for my own sake. I have some great ideas in the works though, more so than my ability to find time for it sadly enough. 1 more day of work and I'll have ample time to hash it out.

Some of the features that are upcoming

-Each side deck contol will be able to control two decks and fx independently from the other side, even while the other deck is in one of the four modified modes.
    -Loop contol will be completely separate from the deck control, unless you are in the loop modified mode
    -FX will be able to be controlled in the normal spot or on each deck independently
    -and to top it off, I have devised a layout that should indicate most of the info regaurding the modified modes

The file has been updated. I'm moving it to my first post as well as removing all the links to the previous files.

update complete, it's bed time for this guy

Tech Guru

DJ Phaidon, thanks for the contribution. I'm working on my own 4 deck tsi for DJTT, but until it's done I'm using Traktor jacked into Ableton to serve for additional channels. The main thing standing in the way of using 4 decks in Traktor with one VCI (for me) is this: When using modifers to switch between decks A/B and C/D, the soft takeover functionality is disabled. This leads to volume and parameter jumps that are unacceptable for me in performance. Have you looked into this during your experimentation? Any leads? I started a thread for this problem, but there have been no replies thus far...
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    When using modifers to switch between decks A/B and C/D, the soft takeover functionality is disabled. This leads to volume and parameter jumps that are unacceptable for me in performance. Have you looked into this during your experimentation? Any leads? I started a thread for this problem, but there have been no replies thus far...
    Looked for the thread, but couldn't find it, so I'll reply here.

I agree that this is a problem, and there are limited work arounds that could be used to overcome the problem, that I've discovered anyway.

1) You could put all the knobs and faders in relative mode with a really large sensitivity, that way when you switched decks, the knob you move would take over where the deck was at instead of where the knob was at. One problem with that is that the knobs could end up in a max'd out or min'd out state with no real way to reset them without clearing a deck, adjusting the knob, and then reloading a deck.

2) As with my set up, all the decks require 2 modifiers to work. So in order for a control for deck 1 to work, M1-1 and M3-1 through M3-4. Certain functions like deck copy, x-fader select, and monitor select set M1 to 0, so in essence, you have 0 functions available to use until you select decks a-d again. While in the zero state, you could adjust said knobs/sliders to the position needed for the deck to minimize the jump in parameters, but this is still a work around, not a fix

so basically, I have found work arounds, but not fixes. I think it would have to be corrected in traktor pro, cause putting 4 decks on a 2 deck controller is destined to have limitations and problems that wouldn't be encountered using a 2 deck setup. I would ultimately like to have a controller that was set up for 4 decks, but having priced out Richie Hawtin's setup, it's a little out of my reach a the moment.

DJ Phaidon

Default Modifier list

Here's a list of the modifiers used in my set up in case you would like to change or remap functions on my setup

M1-1 Deck 1
    M1-2 Side 1 FX
    M1-3 Deck 3

M2-1 Deck 2
    M2-2 Side 2 FX
    M2-3 Deck 4

M3-1 Side 1 Normal
    M3-2 Side 1 Modified
    M3-3 Side 1 Cues
    M3-4 SIde 1 Loops

M4-1 Side 2 Normal
    M4-2 Side 2 Modified
    M4-3 Side 2 Cues
    M4-4 Side 2 Loops

M5-0 Normal
    M5-1 Loop Size
    M5-2 Loop In
    M5-3 Loop Move

M6-0 Normal
    M6-1 Deck 1
    M6-2 Deck 2
    M6-3 Deck 3
    M6-4 Deck 4

M7-1 FX Chained
    M7-2 FX Advanced

M8-1 FX Chained Toggle
    M8-2 FX Advanced Toggle
    M8-4 X-fader Select
    M8-5 Monitor Select
    M8-6 Deck Copy
    M8-7 Deck Loading

Default key map

Also, I totally forgot last night that I added some keybindings for quick beatmapping and hotcue set up. Here they are

(on the numpad)
    Clear Delete Grid marker
    = Set Grid marker
    / Half BPM
    * Double BPM
    num + Move grid marker forward
    num - Move grid marker backward
    num enter BPM tap

(on arrows)
    Up Increase BPM Fine
    Down Decrease BPM Fine
    Right Increase BPM Default
    Left Decrease BPM Default

Home Store Cue/Loop
    End Cue Delete
    Page up Next cue
    Page down Previous cue
    Num 1-8 Set current Cue to hotcue of corresponding number

` Consistency Check
    Enter Search/Search clear on doubletap

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post

1) You could put all the knobs and faders in relative mode with a really large sensitivity, that way when you switched decks, the knob you move would take over where the deck was at instead of where the knob was at. One problem with that is that the knobs could end up in a max'd out or min'd out state with no real way to reset them without clearing a deck, adjusting the knob, and then reloading a deck.
    Yeah, this was what I tried first, and yep, I got plenty of max'd and min'd out controls in normal operation.

2) As with my set up, all the decks require 2 modifiers to work. So in order for a control for deck 1 to work, M1-1 and M3-1 through M3-4. Certain functions like deck copy, x-fader select, and monitor select set M1 to 0, so in essence, you have 0 functions available to use until you select decks a-d again. While in the zero state, you could adjust said knobs/sliders to the position needed for the deck to minimize the jump in parameters, but this is still a work around, not a fix
    Good thinking, but hell, I wouldn't even be able to keep track of all the knobs I turned...

I would ultimately like to have a controller that was set up for 4 decks, but having priced out Richie Hawtin's setup, it's a little out of my reach a the moment.
    Haha! Word.
    It's kinda strange to me that soft takeover isn't an issue in T3 - I've got a really wicked 4 deck tks, but hey, I'm loving Traktor Pro so I'll hold out for the fix.

Anyway, gotta give some love to the minimal set-up; often the most creativity springs from having limited tools. I still love my Casio SK-1!!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Will be out of the DJ office for about a week for the holidays, but fixes and upgrades to the .TSI will be out shortly after that. I'm also using MIDIPipe for Mac to add some enhanced features to the FX section, and will also try to program Bome's for the same functionality. Have a great christmas everyone!

DJ Phaidon

Awesome work so far.

As for my keyboard layout. I'm still working out some issues and adding some cool new features. I've had a chance to jam with it on TPro and have really liked it so far. I've been playing out all the time lately so it's been hard to get a night at home to really get the last issues worked out, but I'm off next week so I play to make some real progress. I'll keep u posted.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast