OSX: Preview/Review Player with waveform?
    Tech Wizard

Default OSX: Preview/Review Player with waveform?

Hi all,

using Traktor for some years now, I became more and more accustomed to the waveform display.

For the purpose of reviewing song collections of new music, I'm looking for player on Mac OS X that supports the following:
    - display the song waveform (like soundcloud)
    - fast loading of many tracks (Perfect would be: displays all track waveforms in the library overview)
    - easy browsing through the track while playing (preferrably keyboard)
    - easy playlist navigation (next/previous track via keyboard)

While dreaming, the player could look like:
    TOP HALF: Soundcloud waveform for the current track: basic controls and song info
    BOTTOM HALF: VLC/iTunes Library List style: sortable, editable (MP3 tags) with "mini" waveform to see the song's structure from 10k feet.

Does something like this exist?
    I'm searching for a while already but did not find anything that comes close to my dream

If you have any links/ideas/tips or even a tool: thanx a lot for your replies!

havagoodone,
    Volker

so by clicking on the song, you want to see the wave form? (without loading/ playing the song)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

For something to do that it will have to pre-analyse the tracks before displaying them

You could run Mixmiester along with Traktor. This has browser window and a Mix window that shows the waveform of tracks.

Basically what you asking for is a lot of features... basically its Traktor.

Dont really see the need to see the waveforms... explain?

i suppose rekordbox could work too. its free, all you need to do is fork over an email
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Wizard

Thanx for the tip!

I checked out rekordbox and it looks great - especially the focus on browsing a collection and checking out tracks.

@theory28
    From where I'm standing, a song's waveform displays some great information: how many build ups, silence portions, end fading style (break, fade out), etc and on my iMac I have enough screen real estate to display the waveform well enough in a single row of the collection list (think cover art display in Traktor and replace it with a mini-waveform).
    Note: I know that an analysis has to be performed and that's also acceptable with today's hardware - imho.

If you have more than 10 songs to listen and less time than the total playtime, the waveform will give you hints where to look. Because you can identify the 'interesting' areas of a song, it can reduce the risk that you might miss a great song.

@Karlos
    You're right, but my focus is on browsing and listening to tracks that are new to me. IN that case, I'm only interested in one playlist, and one 'deck'. Traktor does the job (esp. regarding performance for large collection with 10k songs), but in that scenario I'd like to have less to be more focused.

Again, thanx for your feedback (and making me think more about it, too!)!

havagoodone,
    Volker