Ignorant beginner: How do i configure headphones for cueing?

Default Ignorant beginner: How do i configure headphones for cueing?

Hi all! first timer here.

I recently got my vestax vci 100 and am new to this game. I also have a half decent laptop and a Numark DJ i/o Soundcard with 2 outputs, 1 mic input and heaphones jack, a basic amp and speakers, and using TRAKTOR 3 which i downloaded.

Yes, basic basic basic setup. but i'm very happy to have it all.

No one i know has one, and i am forced to the internet as my only source of learning power for this unit.

Could any one (with a fraction of patience), explain to me how1 to configure my headphones and traktor settings for cueing????? and perhaps even the process of cueing?? i can play out through the amp but not for cueing through headphones.

here's what i got.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...a/DSC00087.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...a/DSC00088.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...a/DSC00091.jpg

Those are my settings in traktor. trial and error havent seemed to help me.

I'm sure there's a rediculously simple answer... thanks if you can help!
    Last edited by timinya; 11-25-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Tech Mentor

Timinya, yes there's a ridiculously simple question (but I once thought it was ridiculously hard as well!) but there's also many other people who've asked and answered it. Try using the search bar. NateD asked the same question just four days ago.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...=headphone+cue

yeah that seems like a similar question.

tracks are playing all nice n good throuigh the speakers, MASTER output is configured to my amp. I'm guessing that MONITOR is the output for headphones for cueing etc..?

But you see i'd like to have for instance Deck A playing a track through my speakers, and on Deck B i'd like to listen to the track only through my headphones for cueing and setting loops etc.

I hate to sound like a retard, i know this a so so so ssimple DJ technique, and even i thought it would be more straight forward.

Tech Mentor

No I feel you, I was here two months ago looking up the same things. Just check out the search button before posting questions. It saves you time of having to wait for the answer especially if it's been given written up before. For what you want, have the crossfader all the way to the left, then press the cue button on deck b. That should work. And yes, monitor is for cueing. Best of luck!

Hey Timinya Welcome to dj tt site.

to setup your IO set ch. 3 & 4 to monitor & ch. 1 & 2 to master if it doesnt work, just flip them 1 & 2 to monitor and 3 & 4 to master. Hit the monitor cue buttons while you have the headphones hooked up the 1/4" jack.

Goodluck and let us know if you get it working.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Done! all seems to be working. Cheers guys for giving me some tips.

Now what happens is that very often TrAKTOR freezes and the sound jitters and rings when i cue in another song through headphones. I'm prrrrrrrreeetty sure this is to do with not having enough ram (i only got 512 atm)....or maybe cause i d-loaded a cracked version of traktor

YO!!! FROM MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA!
    Last edited by timinya; 11-25-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Tech Wizard

Hey Yo from Down the Highway in Geelong!
    Try changing the time stretch quality to the lowest setting, though this will only have an effect if your using key lock.
    Try changing the deck cache size in the transport options section.
    and in audio setup>sound card> increase the latency and see if that fixes it. ideally you want the latency as low as possible, but having it excessively low will chug slower machines.

Thanks will give it a shot

stereo sonic next week!