Regarding effects, and some buttons on my VCI 100
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Regarding effects, and some buttons on my VCI 100

Hello DJTT,

I got my controller and I've been playing/messing around with it extensively and I have come up with a lot of questions that needs to be answered.

If you need to know, I have the VCI 100SE, Traktor Pro 1.2.4 and an Audio DJ sound card that helps.

My first question is how do i assign "panning" to a knob, all the knobs seem to be taken, and I realize there is the "shift" button. Does the shift key work for knobs as well?
    Say for example, if I pressed and held shift and then I turn the gain knob (lets say I assigned the shift+gain knob to panning, if possible) will I be able to pan?

Second question is about the fx presents on the top left of my controller. There is the 1 2 3 4. I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can get those working. I've even tried going on youtube and looking for a tutorial.
    I do have a list of effects from this thread I really like:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17380

What sucks is that I am constantly fidgetting with the mouse and going into the effects tab in traktor so I can set the three effects I need, and then I totally miss the drop. Furthermore, what is the different between....chained and advanced?

Third question is regarding the four buttons under the jog wheel. It is even labelled, but...being the retard I am, I can't even figure it out. Though I realized that if I have the Juggle 1-4 lights on, I can jump to specific cue points.
    But what if it isn't. I know play, plays the track. But slice? What does it slice? I've pressed it a few times and nothing happened and echo didn't echo. And cue is beyond me right now. I'm curious to know how you guys use those buttons, the (Slice and Echo and Cue) if used at all.

Thank you in advance!

ps: feel free to pm me and add me on msn, I am always looking for friends with the same interests and/or mentors.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by sunmoon View Post
    Say for example, if I pressed and held shift and then I turn the gain knob (lets say I assigned the shift+gain knob to panning, if possible) will I be able to pan?
    yes, but the general rule is: DON'T DOUBLE ASSIGN THE GAIN KNOB. EVER. because if you push the shift button and for whatever reason the modifier doesn't kick in, you can end up turning the gain all the way up and you really, really don't want that.

as to the other vci-related stuff, you'll have to wait for someone who actually uses a vci to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    yes, but the general rule is: DON'T DOUBLE ASSIGN THE GAIN KNOB. EVER. because if you push the shift button and for whatever reason the modifier doesn't kick in, you can end up turning the gain all the way up and you really, really don't want that.

as to the other vci-related stuff, you'll have to wait for someone who actually uses a vci to chime in.
    Couldn't you just use soft takeover on the gain?

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by mistertuckshop View Post
    Couldn't you just use soft takeover on the gain?
    doesn't save you from a modifier not activating in the first place. there are no visual cues to modifier status on the traktor GUI, so if you push shift or whatever, you can never be 100% sure that the modifier WAS activated until you actually try to use the conditional controls. and you don't want to experiment with the gain knob! of course, if it works, you can use soft takeover when you switch back. but still WAY too much risk.

don't fuck with the gain.

With those 1,2,3,4 buttons, if you press one of them, the press the headphone button twice on one of the decks, it will change the effects for that decks effects bank to a certain preset. for example, if you press the 2 button, then press the headphone button TWICE for the left deck, the effects will change to gater, and a couple other things. you can customize those preset ones in the mapping though

for slice and echo, you have to hold it a little bit longer. also, when pressing echo, tap the jog wheel and it will create a mini loop
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    doesn't save you from a modifier not activating in the first place. there are no visual cues to modifier status on the traktor GUI, so if you push shift or whatever, you can never be 100% sure that the modifier WAS activated until you actually try to use the conditional controls. and you don't want to experiment with the gain knob! of course, if it works, you can use soft takeover when you switch back. but still WAY too much risk.

don't fuck with the gain.
    Fair point.

Tech Wizard

Why is messing with the gain so bad? From a noob's perspective (please, please correct me, because I know there is something wrong with what I am about to say), the gain to me, is a knob that makes a song louder, and similar to the volume knob *flamesuit on *
    Kinda used by me to "build up" a song.

Alright, so now I understand about the fx presets. Is there a preferred one? Such as chained or advance? How do you guys use that to your advantage?
    Just a VCI-100SE, Audio 2 DJ, Sony V6s and a laptop.
    Looking to improve and meeting people!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Hes not saying don't use the gain knob, he is saying don't double assign it cus YOU WILL press shift and it won't engage (buttons aren't 100%) and you will blast the place out accidently ... It's a good tip...

You can use the auto gain on traktor if you are desperate to have the knobs used for other purposes .

Are you using traktor? Can't see the page properly on my iPhone.

Tech Wizard

Yeah I am, and I am looking for a good knob to assign panning to.
    Just a VCI-100SE, Audio 2 DJ, Sony V6s and a laptop.
    Looking to improve and meeting people!

Tech Wizard

You could double assign the filter or mid EQ. then if the don't work with the shift, it will be easy correct the problem live without too much of a noticeable difference.

sunmoon, i'm interested in doing something similar with the keybend, so let me know how it goes.

also, can someone point me in the direction of how to change the effects in the 4 effect mappings? i've never done anything like this.

thnaks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast