Traktor S4 and Samples (Question for lucky testers)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Traktor S4 and Samples (Question for lucky testers)

Hey everyone, just threw down my pre order for S4, so stoked. Anyways I was thinking about Samples and i'm confused by something. How will we go about loading samples into the banks. I know we can pull samples straight from the decks while they play but how will it work for just loading samples from the browser. Since they can only do 32 counts, how would you determine what shows up in the sample deck if you try and load a full track in there. Or will we have to use the Loop recorder to create our own and load them in after. Hope this question makes sense.

i could be wrong but it sounds like you answered your own question. again - key word here this is SPECULATION on my part but it really looks like a 2 deck controller where the third and fourth decks are just loop grabbers. this can be either good or bad depending on your work flow. for someone who spends alot of time collecting and making loops this may be less then optimal as you would have to load it in a deck before resampling it into a loop deck. could be very wrong, i am just SPECULATING based on what i see i could be missing something painfully obvious though

as far as i can tell you´re not able to load whole tracks into the sample decks.
    the way to get samples is to record them or to have prerecorded samples which have to be not longer than 32...it´s about making your own samples. this is the key. you don´t have to use the sample recorder....you can aslo send loops from deck a or b as a sample directly in your sample section and then save them into the dedicated sample folder.
    hope this helps
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

That seems like a bit of a clunky workflow. What happens if one of your samples is an 8 beat loop, but you wanted it to be a 4 beat loop, would you have to have 2 versions of that loop?

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    That seems like a bit of a clunky workflow. What happens if one of your samples is an 8 beat loop, but you wanted it to be a 4 beat loop, would you have to have 2 versions of that loop?
    You'd select the 8 beat loop, then press the delete button. Then you only have one version of that loop.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm just guessing here, but I think if you already have an 8 beat loop you select it then reduce the loop size to 4. I do this all the time it's not that bad and I think with the S4 loop size rotaries it'll be even easier. I'm guessing there's a sent to sample deck button, just click it and your good.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Just went through the interactive controller explorer on NI's site, turns out the loop in out buttons can be used to double or halve the length of samples.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these so I can understand it more. I have so many unanswered questions, and i'm just eager to see how simple the workflow is.

after setting a loop, you can transfer it to the one of the 'sample players' using the associated button, similar to setting a cue, and remove it with shift.

it has a total loop length of 14 seconds, so not count based. didn't ask about the loading from library, but while fiddling it looks like you just browse and hit load to c or d. was interested in how i make and sample the loops on the fly.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

So Brad you've had some hands on time with it then. Can you explain how loading and controlling them works, do you have to be in deck c and d mode to load and control them, also I noticed in the video that Shiftee was able to individually tweak the volume and filter of each sample or he could tweak all of them at the same time. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    So Brad you've had some hands on time with it then. Can you explain how loading and controlling them works, do you have to be in deck c and d mode to load and control them, also I noticed in the video that Shiftee was able to individually tweak the volume and filter of each sample or he could tweak all of them at the same time. How does that work?
    can't remember everything, but the buttons to load the samples are on deck a and b controls. so you pull the sample from a into c or b into d. really is a simple as setting a hotcue.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast