Playing Dubplates... paid/non-paid.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

in the case of the 'digital dubplate', this is my understanding of it.

dubplates are like an exclusive copy of a producers song that NO ONE has yet.... as Moomin stated, usually its given to friends or big name DJ's of the producer or label to rinse out to the general public... from what I've been told its also to gauge how the crowd would react to this new track.... usually if the track is really kick-ass, you get people going..

"daaaamn, where can i get that track?! this DJ is awesome!....I haven't heard any other DJs play this song..."

so usually when you have a good dubplate, you WILL get recognized as a DJ that has all the exclusive tracks before it comes out.

As for digital dubplates, I'm told this is where big name DJ(s) who have officially received a dubplate and permission from the producer himself/herself to play out and/or put in a mix,

...then someone comes along and rips these mixtapes and physically builds the track by cutting, pasting and looping sections from the mixes to create their own 'exclusive' copy of the track.

like, you'd get the intro from mixtape 1, and the body from mixtape 2 - cut those to loops together to partially build the track.

I guess people, mostly the 'elitetists' of the music genre frown upon this cuz its basically stealing the most 'hottest' track out right now and using it to big up your own name, which only a few select DJs should only have.

There's probably nothing you could do to stop this from happening, but as tempting as it is to do it.... to get flamed by people and possibly potential fans for you as a DJ, might not even be worth it ??.

when you really break it down, you're banking on this whole thing...

you get popular = you get gigs = you get $$$

the way i see it, is that its almost like a slap in the face to the producer who made the track....you're getting popular by playing a song that you didn't pay for. Tracks nowadays are like what? $1.69 ??

...if I'm wrong someone correct me... this is my understanding of it..
    Last edited by EYENSEE; 11-27-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Tech Wizard

true, dubplates are acetates, so basically vinyl CD-r's
    When a track was still in progress, or for scratch-DJ's, producers would cut a dub-plate to acetate, to play out to the crowd, or give to a few friend-DJ's, to check how it would sound and how the crowd would react. In the UK D 'n B scene dubplates became the death of the scene, because only the top10 elite DJ's where playing the new dubplates from their friends for ages, and when they were released full these tracks often where old and stale already to the public.
    Anyway, a digital dubplate would be something like an unrelease/pre-release/promo version. Producers give friendly DJ's unreleased tracks (now in digital format) to listen to, play out, and return their insights. If someone puts these tracks on a website or forum or something, and other people start sharing and downloading, and playing it, the value of still releasing it commercially can be quiet low.

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by EYENSEE View Post
    in the case of the 'digital dubplate', this is my understanding of it.

dubplates are like an exclusive copy of a producers song that NO ONE has yet.... as Moomin stated, usually its given to friends or big name DJ's of the producer or label to rinse out to the general public... from what I've been told its also to gauge how the crowd would react to this new track.... usually if the track is really kick-ass, you get people going..

"daaaamn, where can i get that track?! this DJ is awesome!....I haven't heard any other DJs play this song..."

so usually when you have a good dubplate, you WILL get recognized as a DJ that has all the exclusive tracks before it comes out.

As for digital dubplates, I'm told this is where big name DJ(s) who have officially received a dubplate and permission from the producer himself/herself to play out and/or put in a mix,

...then someone comes along and rips these mixtapes and physically builds the track by cutting, pasting and looping sections from the mixes to create their own 'exclusive' copy of the track.

like, you'd get the intro from mixtape 1, and the body from mixtape 2 - cut those to loops together to partially build the track.

I guess people, mostly the 'elitetists' of the music genre frown upon this cuz its basically stealing the most 'hottest' track out right now and using it to big up your own name, which only a few select DJs should only have.

There's probably nothing you could do to stop this from happening, but as tempting as it is to do it.... to get flamed by people and possibly potential fans for you as a DJ, might not even be worth it ??.

...if I'm wrong someone correct me... this is my understanding of it..
    You are right, but there is a but!

Most digital dubplates (or exclusive test promos) out there today are not done in the way that you are describing, they are actually uploaded as a direct rip from the "original" nothing missing, no change in quality. And that brings me to a question; who is actually doing this? The artists best mate? Brothers and sisters? The LABEL itself? The ARTIST itself?!

I have 4 quite well known friends that are artists, and they do this all the time.

I mean, the guy that actually made the track in this case, IS a member of the board, but he did not reply... Makes you wonder right?

I also know a lot of labels (and this is F A C T) that rip their stuff to mp3s and provide them to release groups or upload them via torrents before or just the day it gets released. And please do not ask how I know this, cause I can not give you that answer, you will have to trust me on this one.

Lets face it, in the end it is not the records that make the artists money, its the live and dj performances, and giving people freebees, make people go to their gigs. Its a very clever stunt they are pulling.

THOUGH, it is the small non giggin artists that suffer from it, cause their sales are not as good as the big ones.

AND let me ask one thing, have you ever seen actual sales figures from labels that are complaining about the mp3 movement? I have, from 4 labels, and they are better than ever... I wonder why!?

I am in no way saying that people should not pay for music, but I am saying do not feed the sharks!

sorry if im moving off topic, how about blogs? what is the legal state of it? as the artists and labels usualy agree on the posting it must be legal in some way, right? and if the tracks are awailable I buy them.

so how about blogs? any1 know? or is it just like promos?
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

before this thread gets any longer, I want to clarify that I wouldnt consider myself an elitist in all this, I still got my devilish side in all this as well I'm not trying to preach out to everyone that you SHOULD do it "this" way... so do what you want to do .... but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I will pay for a club banger if a track is hot, just to show support and for the music i'm into. that's just me personally.

But back onto the dubplate thing...

when I first read that thread about the kid, in my mind i too was like,

"what's the big deal, its not like he's trying to sell his mixtape...by the looks of it, he was just doing, just cuz he wanted to make one..."

but lets say hypothetically, this 15 year old kid notices the attention he's getting by getting these exclusives and such... sooner or later (not saying he would) but possibly taking this 'just for fun' thing and taking it a step further?

He can potentially make money by giving the audience 'stolen' goods...

It like saying you had a store that sell tshirts now for 2 years...then all of a sudden, someone opens up shop beside you who got into the tshirt business 2 weeks ago but this dude has stolen/knock-off t-shirts that dont come out till next season, , and everyone goes to your competition cuz he's got the 'newer' stuff...

as a business owner, that would suck on your behalf,

now take that scenario and flip that over to the dj side of the world.....how would that make you feel?

yeah, i know this scenario might be wacked out but... i think people get the picture...

the only thing that I see to break this cycle is probably to either

1) start producing your own tracks

2) just get really really really really really good at dj'ing and use your experience to your advantage in convincing producers..

"hey, i draw in a huge crowd...I can give your tracks exposure...send me your exclusives..."

3) marry the producers sister and get in on the family... puahahahaha :P

Tech Wizard

it seems that for a lot of producers that are also DJ's posting their new tracks/edits on blogs is the new way of promoting yourself. The money is made with the dj-gigs.

Seriously. This is lame. I buy my tracks... but I definitely will go to any means when it hasn't been released in the US... That seems to happen a lot. In this global market you bet I'm not going to be caught playing Put Your Hands Up for Detroit in 2007.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

As if the big ass djs never stole anything? All scenes are full of elitist craps that think that they can make the rules, but they break them themselves every fraggin day. Kind of like the government!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    As if the big ass djs never stole anything? All scenes are full of elitist craps that think that they can make the rules, but they break them themselves every fraggin day. Kind of like the government!
    Totally. If a track isn't fully released I probably wont play it as I dont want to lose respect, ESPECIALLY as a digital DJ, which is tough enough already.

If I get my hands on a dub/early release though legal means for sure I'll drop it. I mean I can understand to an extent if I was a DJ and I had a special track / edit that I wouldnt want every last mofo playing it the Week/Month I got it out, but like with DnB if this is happening constantly it kills it.

On the other hand I think there is a big movement to DJs (especially Digital ones) doing their own edits (and productions) which brings the freshness to a set.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    As if the big ass djs never stole anything?
    LOL. Um... can you say sampling?
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12