Playing Dubplates... paid/non-paid....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Playing Dubplates... paid/non-paid....

I frequent another site called DNBArena, (breakbeat.co.uk) and came across this thread...

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=1970974348

To sum up what the thread is about,

A 15 year old kid got into mixing a few months ago and had made a mix to share with the rest of the forum members, hoping for some feedback on his mixing technique, selection etc... He even went on to list his playlist.

In that playlist he had listed a 'dubplate' (read it on the thread, you'll understand better what a dubplate is) ... now, what I didnt realize (because I was seeing it from this kid's point of view) where he was just doing this for fun, and practicing, he got flamed for this...really hard.

Basically, most of the forum members believe (to which I agree to some point) is to pay for your tracks before posting a mix on the internet.

and it goes on...and on... you'll even see my post where I ask what a 'belland' is.... haha, how should I know what that is.. I'm Canadian....eh?!

anyways..

what do you think about this? I personally feel that if you're gonna take DJ'ing seriously or even as a career approach.. you should pay for your tracks, just to show support to the artists and the music you love. There are people out there that would disagree with me, but whatever, that's just how I feel about it. I have the peace of mind that when I play out live, my tracks are tagged properly and at the highest quality format..and also now my property

Tech Wizard

I'm not familiar with the esoteric ins and outs of the UK DnB scene, but this seems blown way out of proportion.

the person, regardless of age, is entirely apologetic and states future compliance yet a single individual continues to hammer on him. not professional.

I don't want to sound prejudice but DnB types to my experience have always been remarkably elitist. your either one of them and obide in a cult manner or your garbage.

Once again, my appologies because I know there are DnB lovers here, but I'm only speaking from personal experience which is again supported by the posted link above. It's great to have passion for your culture (any culture) but why build the walls so high and why fortify the gates so heavily?

S.
    Last edited by Sheph; 11-26-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Tech Wizard

if you download a dubplate is it a dubplate? and isn't it a dubplate rip, not a vinyl rip. Dubplates are made from Acetate, right?

perhaps the person to persecute is the person ripping and distributing unreleased tracks, not the guy who received them.

WTF! What a joke! Poor kid, I hope he becomes a Super Star DJ just to rub that in there face!

So....Im not supposed to play my unreleased Depeche Mode Remixes/Dubs/Edits/Acapellas?

I dont mean to flame but come one! How many "bootleg" vinyls do you have in your crates? I have alot! Why, because some of the spanish rock or other type of music that I play never got pressed on vinyl or it was only on cd and I only play on 1200's and swore that I never switch to digital. I say played what you got!
    Last edited by JesC; 11-26-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I also find myself over at D&B arena sometimes, did some work for them a few years back & funny enough got a few dub plates included in my pay

As far as I know dubplates are the first preses of a record/vinyl that are made by the artist for limited distribution, friends, DJ's & radio stations. They are also made of acetate so that they can only have a limited amount of plays on them... So If this kid has listed a dub plate in his mix he must have got it from somewhere? & if its a digital copy then naughty 15 year old!!! - kids these days! hehe.

If he isnt makin any money out of this & is jus doin it for fun then whats the harm!?

I now pay for my music as I'm sometimes payed to play it! But there is still a lack of music available to legaly download & sometimes you have to go to the dark side to get what you need!

I have the peace of mind that when I play out live, my tracks are tagged properly and at the highest quality format..and also now my property
    -not if you got em off itunes
    VAIO - T3/PRO - VCI 100 - AK1 - DJM-400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubplate

The first presses you are talking about Moomin, are the Test pressings, and they have a way longer lifespan than dublates (dubplates around 40-50 plays) Then of course, when the test pressing has been approved, you get the promos. The promos are the exact same as the test pressing. Leaving it to that Test Pressings and Promos and FINISHED product is the exact same -of course if the original test press was approved- product.

However, you have some test pressings that were not approved, another track was added, and some maybe removed. That could be considered a dub plate.

I know some people that have had a pressing plant, and they used to press some unreleased stuff on 10 copies or less, I wish I had a pressing plant, I have so much stuff that has never and will never be released (and I want it on vinyl hehe)

I probably should have checked wiki before my reply..my memory aint what it used to be, hehe thanks for clearing that up :P

http://faderonline.com/node/296
    now all you need now is 8kUSD!!!
    Last edited by Moomin_papa; 11-27-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: missed a bit

Makes me wonder - If something is free, can it be stolen? I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with dubs, but i thought they were generally given away...

Waay too much troll-feeding in that thread.. the main guy supports piracy of 'mainstream' and yet not this. Hypocrite is the word i believe
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

I am on page three of this discussion by the way, and maaaaan are they close minded, bashing that kid...

It does go on a bit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast