Looking for a good midi controller+interface on a budget.. Vestax Typhoon?
    Tech Student

Default Looking for a good midi controller+interface on a budget.. Vestax Typhoon?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get into DJing and I'm looking at getting a midi controller. I'm not trying to spend a fortune on it, but I want something with decent quality, plus an onboard audio interface, and the best thing that I've found so far is the Vestax Typhoon for about $300. Can anyone offer any advice here? Is it a good piece of equipment, is there a cheaper/better option out there? Thanks

Tech Mentor

Why dont take a look at the Omni Control? Not too expensive at MusicStore!

Tech Guru

do you really want jog wheels?

Tech Student

I definitely want jog wheels, I just wouldn't feel right buying a controller without them.

And I looked at the Omni, it's actually a little more expensive and I like the Typhoon better

Tech Guru

im trying to sell my 99%mint numark stealth with box and manuals. im original owner, can post pics. $180
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Student

Sorry, I'm looking for something with a soundcard built in

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jjjay View Post
    Sorry, I'm looking for something with a soundcard built in
    That + Audio 2 DJ = $280, would be cheaper than the Typhoon and have a much better sound card. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must have everything all in one device (something I'd highly recommend against, as you'd have to pay more to upgrade them both, instead of just the controller), this would be the route I'd suggest.

Having owned an Omni Control, I can tell you that the vestax jog wheels are immeasurably better! The Typhoon and Spin have the same touch sensitive Jogs as the VCI-100 and as such are much more expressive. If you don't have the funds for a VCI and Audio 2 DJ then the Typhoon looks like a good alternative.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by lavhoes View Post
    That + Audio 2 DJ = $280, would be cheaper than the Typhoon and have a much better sound card. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must have everything all in one device (something I'd highly recommend against, as you'd have to pay more to upgrade them both, instead of just the controller), this would be the route I'd suggest.
    That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't been thinking about it like this. I was just thinking that all-in-one would eliminate the need for a soundcard, It didn't even occur to me that a separate soundcard might actually be cheaper and more expandable.

I know that the Numark Mixtrack is a popular controller without a soundcard onboard, how would it stack up?