Mixtrak Pro First Look!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mixtrak Pro First Look!

We got an exclusive first look at the Mixtrack Pro in the ProAudioStar warehouse. It's the same as Numark's Mixtrack controller with a built in soundcard (RCA outs). I didn't have much time with the unit but I was surprised at the responsiveness of the jog wheels with Virtual DJ. With a good Traktor map I think this could surpass the Vestax Typhoon in performance and price. Definitely worth a look as an entry level controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQtTLDU1fM

and blog post here:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/mixtrack...nd-new-m-boxes

I'm looking forward to this one. . .I'm still not to keen on the internal soundcard though.

Quote Originally Posted by DjWindzOne View Post
    I'm looking forward to this one. . .I'm still not to keen on the internal soundcard though.
    Why not?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

I got a Audio 2 Dj. . .the output is a LOT better than what I heard from any of the Numark audio cards (Stereo IO, DJ IO, etc).

I think it's a great all in one solution, an external sound card is another thing to worry about after all... Although i think they should have given it an extra knob up the top so it can be mapped to Traktors advanced effects better. And a master gain knob instead of a fader, grr...
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Yeah. . .I agree with that annoying Master fader in the middle. . .makes no sense to me. . .but then again, you can prolly map it to a 3rd deck if you needed it to.

I understand the all in one solution. . . .It's the quality of the sound I'm worried about. . .I've never had an issue with the Audio 2. I'm just hoping they use the same quality of connections as Numark has used on the NS7. . . but then again. . .this is still an "Entry Level" unit.

I get what I pay for.

Now that the mixtrack is a direct competitor to the vestax spin/typhoon, have any of you guys compared them side by side...platter response, fader and overall build quality,

I know at this price one can't expect much, but how do they compare to each other?

I like the layout and size of the numark more (Vestax should have made the typhoon a matte black color instead of glossy ribbon), but if the platters and faders on the mixtrack are a step down...that's a no-brainer.

I always had good experiences with vestax products.

A cheap vestax mixer is usually much better than a cheap numark mixer.

Tech Guru

They look like the perfect size and shape jog wheels
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

@coolout

Yes. . i agree fully with your statement. . . .but even the numark replacement parts are readily available, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. . .Although my old MKII Vestax mixer (before the Pro) where they first introduced the double panel system is still a tank!!! I use it for shit's an giggles on occasion (or an old Gemini mixer with the Transformer buttons. . . LOL!) to kill my partners just to show what they are used to. . .and what the old school had to deal with back in the day.

To tell you the truth though, I've had a pair of TT500's and they haven't bailed on me yet (3 years and counting!).

A cheap vestax mixer is usually much better than a cheap numark mixer.
    Believe it!!!!

Well I did the gearsluty thing to do...I bought both and compared them myself.

Ultimately the Mixtrack won out because:

1. The layout on the mixtrack is bigger and far more comfortable. Even though it's cheap plastic, it feels like you're working on a serious piece of DJ gear.The Vestax seemed really cramped to me. I guess it's fine to play on your lap, but the Mixtrack demands you set it on a table. stand in front of it, and rock out...way more buttons and knobs to assign and play with

2. The knobs on the Mixtrack feel better than the EQ sliders on the Vestax. Although the Vestax crossfader seemed a little smoother, but not by much.

3. I already have a soundcard so although the Vestax seemed more compact and complete, I'd rather have things modular so if (and when) something breaks I can easily replace it. You can buy TWO Mixtracks for the price of ONE Typhoon. I'm already thinking of getting another Mixtrack later on as a backup. I'm wondering which will go first: a button, a fader, or the USB cord.

4. The jog-wheel performance was about the same on both, with the Mixtrack's larger jogs again feeling more comfortable if you've had experience using turntables or Pioneer CDJs. The Vestax has a slight advantage because you can scratch and pitch bend at the same time like a Pioneer CDJ.

With that said, they both have slight flaw which seems to be Traktor related. The jog wheels never feel properly calibrated to the size. You really notice it when doing a scratch and you release the platter, then touch it to bring it back to the same sound like scratching phrases. The start point changes like there's "sticker drift". The reason I say this is a Traktor problem is that last year I played around with the Ion Discover DJ and the same thing happened with Traktor but not with Mixvibes. (Cross had it's own different set of issues.)

I'm in the middle of tweaking the Numark supplied Traktor Pro tsi for better jog-wheel performance, more intuitive FX control, and a shift mode for hot cues. I'm also thinking of re-visiting some of Ean's VCI mappings and making a controllerist/performance orientated tsi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast