Hooking up monitors to the new S4

Default Hooking up monitors to the new S4

So I'm trying to get away with purchasing my home rig as cheap as possible and I really want to use monitors for my speakers rather than buying a reciever and bookshelf speakers because that appears to be a cheaper way to go. My question is can I plug powered monitors directly off of the S4, I've looked at some of the pictures and I think I could but I'm not sure. Could someone that knows more about the whole deal let me know, thanks

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah, out of either the 1/4" Jacks or the RCAs. Both are live.
    Straight to you monitors , no mixer needed.

Tech Wizard

id like to thank whoever put there foot down about balanced outs, major selling point that gets over looked

Does that mean you can use the RCA and balanced outs as a master and monitor at the same time?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Yes but they are not independent so they both output the same level.
    You would need to control the volume of the booth on the actual monitor or get an inline volume control like this one that im getting (there are others):

http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Yes but they are not independent so they both output the same level.
    You would need to control the volume of the booth on the actual monitor or get an inline volume control like this one that im getting (there are others):

http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp
    How does that work? Is there a separate monitor out on the S4?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There's two outs on the S4, but you can't control their volume independently. You either have to have a volume control on your monitor speakers or put the Level Pilot between the S4 and the monitor speakers.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    There's two outs on the S4, but you can't control their volume independently. You either have to have a volume control on your monitor speakers or put the Level Pilot between the S4 and the monitor speakers.
    Ah right, I thought that's how it would work.

You would need XLR to RCA convertors for one end of the cable.

If you want a ghetto solution for a fraction of the cost you can use one of these which is used for fading Car stereo systems from front to back. Just connect one side.

It works, ive used one.

http://cpc.farnell.com/carpower/rff-...-bb45-00001003