DIY Superfader (Work in progress)

Default DIY Superfader (Work in progress)

I am crazy about DIY! So when I heard about a superfader that could be programmed with different MIDI CCs when the fader is at left or right position, made me think of a solution to make this possible in much less advanced DIY projects...

Quite fast I found out that this could easily be done with the help from two microswitches and a modification of the pin on the fader.

The simple idea is that a horizontal pin is attached to the fader pin which allows it to reach the microswitches on both sides, creating an easy button click when fader hits left or right side...

Please share your thoughts and ideas with me

I haven't tested this idea yet, but I will do as soon as I can. This is how far I've gone in the "thinking phase"

Why buy something, when you can build it yourself for the double cost?

Check my project! DIY DJ Controller (gamepad PCB)
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18627

Interesting idea. . . .You working this into your custom project Oskar?

Using Bome's MIDI Translator, you can do the same thing entirely in software.

The crossfader produces a CC value. Think of each value on the line 0..127 as a "bucket", when the fader enters a bucket the CC value is sent. So, when the crossfader enters the "0" bucket (i.e. transitions from >0 to 0, because with fast movements it's not guaranteed that the previous value will be 1, it could easily skip from 3 to 0 with a fast movement) then you can send a NoteOn value. When the CC transitions from 0 to >0, send a NoteOff. Similarly for the top end of the scale. - a transition from <127 to 127 produces a NoteOn and a transition from 127 to <127 produces a NoteOff.

The trick is to keep a copy of the previous value to compare against. Voila, a SmartFader using just a dumb CC and a small midi translator script.

Quote Originally Posted by DjWindzOne View Post
    Interesting idea. . . .You working this into your custom project Oskar?
    Thanks! I think I will use it in my on going project, yes! I would be fun to test it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Using Bome's MIDI Translator, you can do the same thing entirely in software.

The crossfader produces a CC value. Think of each value on the line 0..127 as a "bucket", when the fader enters a bucket the CC value is sent. So, when the crossfader enters the "0" bucket (i.e. transitions from >0 to 0, because with fast movements it's not guaranteed that the previous value will be 1, it could easily skip from 3 to 0 with a fast movement) then you can send a NoteOn value. When the CC transitions from 0 to >0, send a NoteOff. Similarly for the top end of the scale. - a transition from <127 to 127 produces a NoteOn and a transition from 127 to <127 produces a NoteOff.

The trick is to keep a copy of the previous value to compare against. Voila, a SmartFader using just a dumb CC and a small midi translator script.
    Sounds nice! But advanced! My solution is more plug-and-play. It would be awsome if you wrote a tutorial for what you just wrote! It seems like you can do much with that technique!

But still. Microswitches are cool!
    Why buy something, when you can build it yourself for the double cost?

Check my project! DIY DJ Controller (gamepad PCB)
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18627