Upgrade to Traktor S4 or CDJ's - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

my 2 cents...

regarding the concept of "real" dj'ing, as long as you can play the tunes and keep a crowd in a bar/club then that is all the manager wants. unfortunately 90% of clubs just care about the $$$!

This also means most wont care what equipment use. every club i've played in near me has allowed controllers, although using CDJs does feel better.

The solution? use CDJs and timecode with a laptop. that way it still looks like you're some some "real mixing" but have the benefits of digital. isn't this what most the "big" djs use in clubs after all...?

that said, i also agree with a "true dj" being able to use most kit in that they should be able to at least beatmatch. but this can be learnt using laptop if you turn the sync function off!!

so S4 or cdjs? if money was no object you wanna go with the "club standard" which would be cdj2000s! no point learning on some shitty £150 cdjs then stumblling on pioneers in a club!
    obviously money does matter so i'd go with S2/S4. S2 if you dont have cdjs to plug in, otherwise its a waste of 2 channels and £200-300!!
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Zoosh View Post

If you are serious about DJ'ing in my opinion the S4 is absolutely an industry standard pre requisite. Turn up at a gig with an S4 and macbook and trust me people will take you seriously. I also weighed up getting the new Pioneer traktor mixer but the loop decks on the s4 software are in my opinion what makes the S4 stand out to anything in the foreseeable future.
    I can confirm this statement and see that you are a real Pro with many years experience.
    I am a composer and producer and found myself in a come back as a DJ, with a break of 10 years playing music in clubs. I decided to get myself a S4 plus a Maschine ( Now F1s ) and started in some local clubs. I had mixed feelings, first my age ;-) , second I had no clue about CDJ 2000s and third...I arrived with a Traktor S4, at this time this new Controller just came on the market. Up to now I use my S4 together with Maschine or only Maschine.

I had clubs who invited me for a gig, but have been skeptical about my S4 equipment....I simply said: " I am an artist and this is my equipment". Anyone feeling disturbed with Richie Hawtin using a Maschine Controller?

I am convinced that Pioneer will keep their CDJs in the clubs and this is OK because, when my Mac Pro crashes I can jump on a CDJ system ( I always have CDs with my music in the bag ), although it never happened so far. Finally, we will see more and more DJs who are just able to work with their individual systems, the old standard of using MK II 1210 Turntable will never come back.

If a DJ is more like an artist and likes to add some personal sound structures to his DJ Sets I recommend the S4 and / or Maschine.

Default I've been turned down at a club for using the S2

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    Do you really think that even if your music is sick and you draw a nice crowd, a club will turn you down for using a controller over their CDJs?
    Unfortunately, yes. It has happened to me! A club contacted me and wanted to book me, but turned me down because I spin on a Traktor Kontrol S2. Honestly, I love the S2/S4! It allowed me to make this killer mix:
    https://soundcloud.com/arpan/party-favors-vol-1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arpan View Post
    It allowed me
    There's your problem right there. Using a controller and software is fine if you have the skills to mix without them too. Otherwise you're only going to limit your gigging opportunities.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345