What Laptop should I buy?
    Tech Convert

Default What Laptop should I buy?

Hey guys,
    mayb i'm to dumb, but i couldn't find any interessting topics on this.

I need a Laptop, to get mobile with my DJ Set, using ableton + an uc33e.

A Mac is too expensive for me and alot of people suggest IBM Lenovos/Thinkpads.
    The thing is, I am still confused on what is important etc
    Are IBMs really that good?
    Could you guys make any suggestions on Laptops?

Thanks in advance!
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by wibi View Post
    Hey guys,
    mayb i'm to dumb, but i couldn't find any interessting topics on this.

I need a Laptop, to get mobile with my DJ Set, using ableton + an uc33e.

A Mac is too expensive for me and alot of people suggest IBM Lenovos/Thinkpads.
    The thing is, I am still confused on what is important etc
    Are IBMs really that good?
    Could you guys make any suggestions on Laptops?

Thanks in advance!
    Max
    IBM makes a good computer. They have been around for a long time. And i know alot of corporate companies especially like engineering and comercial construction companies use them.

Ram is good alot of it. So is processor speed. And Having a firewire port.

ONe thing of importance though. . .

Some processors may not run/work well with certain progs.

And depending on your controller of choice, it may not work at all.

Check your specs, check for drivers, and check updates whenever you can. Every machine is going to be different.

I run on a Gateway. . and I get a LOT of SH!t from other DJ's that rock an HP or Macs. . .But I've never had ANY trouble with ANY system (I use SSL, ITCH, or Tracktor, depending on the situation). . .Hardware aside, it's the specs of any computer that will be the culprit of mistakes/crashes/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by DjWindzOne View Post
    ONe thing of importance though. . .

Some processors may not run/work well with certain progs.

And depending on your controller of choice, it may not work at all.

Check your specs, check for drivers, and check updates whenever you can. Every machine is going to be different.

I run on a Gateway. . and I get a LOT of SH!t from other DJ's that rock an HP or Macs. . .But I've never had ANY trouble with ANY system (I use SSL, ITCH, or Tracktor, depending on the situation). . .Hardware aside, it's the specs of any computer that will be the culprit of mistakes/crashes/whatever.
    I have to agree. I get hella shit for running an AMD quad core processor. Like if you want to get anything reloop then ya need an Intel

get what you can afford just keep an eye out for the min specs of the programs you plan to use
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

I have a Lenovo T510 with a 500gb hard-drive and 8Gb of ram. I love the thing to death but am still planning on getting a MacBook Pro. For what I use it for, this thing is all I need and more but I use it for work and university as well, so I got a lot of stuff on it that I'd rather not on a machine for DJ purposes.

Default KNOW the parts

The important thing isn't the brand. It's the parts in the particular computer.
    To truly insure success in getting a good machine, you'll have to do some homework and look into the device manager and see exactly what is in there.

I don't know how win 7 works in this regard; if the devices by connection and so on are listed in the same way as xp, but this is a good place to start nonetheless. (device manager-devices by connection/type)

Some common tricks these companies do is putting usb 1 hubs in, or having 4 or five devices sharing a bus, or just plain using junky parts; usb, firewire, sata, etc.

You'll need to know this type of info, if you have to troubleshoot audio problems(you will at some point), so go ahead and learn it before you buy and save yourself some grief.