Why not help the midi controller evolve at a faster rate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why not help the midi controller evolve at a faster rate.

Now before just seeing my post count and skipping the first post, Atleast read it.

Ok so especially lately Ive been reading about people saying that every new controller that is released seems to only have one or two features added. And someone will ask "Why dont they add more than two or 3 features?". Wellit was explained in a post from the DJTT blog. And its $$$.

So it occured to me. Why dont we take action? We meaning DJTT Community. I mean yeah there is DIY controllers. But take it a step beyond that. For gosh sakes Community members REVERSE ENGINEERED VCI 100. Now some people may be like "yeah so what". Well thats UBER complicated unless your a brilliant person.

If some people in the Community can do that, Why cant we work together and Make a controller? Not like a Midi fighter but im talking TOUCH SENSITIVE JOG Wheels, Optical Faders, Knobs, buttons the whole 9 yards. And Possibly A sound card.

Im willing to do what i can and help to make and design one. I mean why not make something we know people will use. Not with just 2 or 3 new features but with 10 or 20 or more. Ean revolutionized controllerism and helped start DJTT why not get the community to push it even a step further.

So if anyone besides me is interested in doing something like this. Then shit lets do this and make a kickass controller that will change DJ'ing.

~Chris W.
    S.F. Bay Area Local

I like the idea. See it being fairly difficult to accomplish though. I'm down for a challenge though!

Sweet dude. Yeah it will be tough but I mean the end result will be worth it!!! Ill send ya a pm.

I could join you on a corner!
    Dont know mutch about electronics though, but I like to design things.

The problem: Ideas are cheap. Implementations are the only thing that counts..

Everyone has opinions on what would make a good product, actually making something to sell to people, dealing with manufacturing issues, supporting them into the future across many platforms is not simple. So until you can chip in doing steps 3-to-20 you don't get a voice in the initial design steps.

Making things is hard.

A year ago this would have been valid - but now there's the S4 - and you ain't gonna make anything better than that
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    The problem: Ideas are cheap. Implementations are the only thing that counts..

Everyone has opinions on what would make a good product, actually making something to sell to people, dealing with manufacturing issues, supporting them into the future across many platforms is not simple. So until you can chip in doing steps 3-to-20 you don't get a voice in the initial design steps.

Making things is hard.
    Well I can program CNC G-code and machine. Plus do solidworks and AutoCad Mechanical. And Ill spend my money and pay for a portion of the matierals.
    I just dont know enough to do it alone.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Ahh right that pm is now in context...

I'm in the (lengthy) process of designing a DIY controller that could be described as an S4-a-like. My vision for the controller is much greater though and, I believe, I could make it for considerably cheaper than what the S4 costs. Have a look at the links in my signature (particularly the VU meter post and the CloneThing post) to see where I'm coming from... I'm talking about a controller that uses visual and hardware interfaces that haven't been seen on ANY controller yet, and that would be relatively simple/cheap to implement.

The S4 has certainly pushed the envelope but it's less of a quantum leap than I was expecting. My dream is to design a Traktor controller that you can use without looking at a laptop even once during a set. It's certainly possible imho. I humbly believe that a DIY midi controller which results in a tangible technological push, beyond what's currently possible, would get NI to stand up and pay attention. Opening up Traktor with a properly documented API would be a good start.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    A year ago this would have been valid - but now there's the S4 - and you ain't gonna make anything better than that
    that's some serious fanboy talk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast