New Mix Ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mix Ideas

Default New Mix Ideas

I've had Traktor for a while now and been mixing away nicely, getting all my favourite songs flowing together nicely. However recently I've become quite bored of Traktor and attempting to mix in general. I keep finding myself trying the same things and constantly looking at BPMs as a way to gauge what songs will work well together. Basically, I'm stuck in a rut!

In the last week I've found I power up my pc and open traktor only to close it again 20 mins later due the boredom. All the fun is gone!

Any ideas on ways to keep things fresh and make the process interesting again?

Cheers guys

Route the audio into Ableton, create your own smart knobs, try to lose your preconceptions on what is possible You could even try your hand at making your own content using synths and putting that into your mix. Resample old beats and bring a fresh feel to them. With this new age of mixing no one should be getting bored, there are too many unexplored avenues to wonder down.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Route the audio into Ableton, create your own smart knobs, try to lose your preconceptions on what is possible You could even try your hand at making your own content using synths and putting that into your mix. Resample old beats and bring a fresh feel to them. With this new age of mixing no one should be getting bored, there are too many unexplored avenues to wonder down.
    Haha, I'm sure there is if you've got the cash for that lot!

If your on a budget you could try FL Studio Producer edition for $200 US. These programs are typically pricey, but you certainly get a HUGE bang for buck. Try out the demo, you can do everything except save your project

Of course its the same principle as routing the audio into Ableton

You will find your self in a rut with all type of mixing. Not just with traktor. Force your self to figure out new ways of doing things. For instance- try finding a way to mix with some random controller. Exploring mixing in keys can also be a new way to find fun new ideas.

brand new music always fixes helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    You will find your self in a rut with all type of mixing. Not just with traktor. Force your self to figure out new ways of doing things. For instance- try finding a way to mix with some random controller. Exploring mixing in keys can also be a new way to find fun new ideas.

brand new music always fixes helps too.
    It's weird alright, just got some new MSTRKRFT tracks today and messed about with them, the beatmasher is my new godsend, i had always neglected what it could do! Their new track VuVuVu partnered with that can make for some strange, strange combinations!

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Resample old beats and bring a fresh feel to them.
    Try the "Less is More" tactic. Take your tracks and dig out the loops in them. Take these tiny pieces of audio and layer them into new beats, new pieces. See if you can produce building highs and spectacular breakdowns using just these pieces and your live touch with effects.

For creative people stuck in a rut, I can recommend Brian Eno's "Oblique Strategies" card decks. Get yours at http://www.rtqe.net/ObliqueStrategies/

Click to Pick a Card

You can try mixing music that isn't 4/4. That'll keep you busy for a while.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast