Headphones for DJing/Producing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Headphones for DJing/Producing

I was looking to buy some headphones for doing some DJ/Production work when I stumbled across an old pair of Vic Firth SlH1 Isolation Headphones. Would these be a good choice or should I actually go out and spend my valuable shekels on a new pair to use?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...nes?sku=443954
    Link for reference

wow, they might be good headphones (idk) but they ugly lookin!

Quote Originally Posted by bamrocket View Post
    I was looking to buy some headphones for doing some DJ/Production work when I stumbled across an old pair of Vic Firth SlH1 Isolation Headphones. Would these be a good choice or should I actually go out and spend my valuable shekels on a new pair to use?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...nes?sku=443954
    Link for reference
    Mate, Senheiser HD25II

Thats all...
    "Dance Dance Dance just being a geek"

Tech Wizard

Definitely ugly. I'm still not exactly sure what I should be looking for in a pair of headphones. Further research is needed, just thought I'd get DJTT's opinion on the subject.

Tech Guru

+1 on the HD25II I have had mine for a little over 3 months now and love love love love love them. I use them to for everything. I use them to just listen to my iPod. It's amazing what you miss with crappy headphones.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

I've got the Vic Firths. They are perfect for when I play with a live drummer, but otherwise I don't bother with them. The sound quality is just not really there, the signal is low, and they are mad uncomfortable. But the sound isolation is phenomenal - I guess they were designed to block out the sound of airplanes a few yards away, so they really block out sound. They've saved my eardrums on a number of occasions. But if you're not planning on needing that kind of protection, go with the Sennheisers (or any of a number of other quality headphones).

Somebody did manage to stick Sony drivers into a set that looked like these (search around this forum for headphone mod) and you could probably do it with these too, and they'd sound a lot better but I don't think it would be worth it because they're neither comfortable nor stylish, heh. But if you plan on spinning at a shooting range or something, go for it!

Tech Wizard

I appreciate the responses guys. I'll be picking up a pair of HD25II's ASAP

Okay, so now after reading the recent blog on IEMs, now I'm wondering if the new HDJ-500s are a good idea afterall. But my biggest hesitation is that I like to hear my prefade before blasting it on the pa, and it appears that won't be as easy with IEMs. I'm guessing its an issue with sound isolation. Probably won't be able to hear your next track very easily before you fade it in. Any ideas? I will be using the S4, so maybe the individual cue buttons will solve this?

Huh? The Pioneers are not IEMs, they're headphones. But I doubt there is a problem hearing on IEMs if you get them, since they provide the ultimate in sound isolation, because they block off the ear canal. So they don't need to be nearly as loud to hear. It's a double edged sword though, with the monitor that close to your eardrum and the sound walled in, it's probably pretty damn easy to really abuse your hearing with them if you accidentally turn it up too loud. Me I like IEMs for listening to my ipod on a plane or other noisy environment but not for DJing - I like to be able to take headphones on and off easily, and it's easier to talk to people when you want to.

"Huh? The Pioneers are not IEMs, they're headphones."

Thats the point, i wanted to get the HDJ-500s, but then after reading the blog I can't decide if I want to get the Westone UM2s instead. What a deciding factor for me is that i want to still be able to listen to the prefade, I want to hear what I am about to play before I play it on the master. And since your not supposed to take out the earphones, you wouldnt be able to hear the cue or the master independently
    Last edited by natebehe; 10-13-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast