Serato Vs Traktor - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tech tool View Post
    for the rare records with multiple BPMs just use the f*cking pitch fader on your TTs - that's one of the reasons i use DVS instead of pure MIDI anyway! i've gone from serato to traktor. more cluttered workflow and the "feel" isn't as nice but the flexibility of traktor wins in the end for me. you can just do more with it.....
    EXACTLY!!!

All this talk about flexible beatgrids... yet somehow SYNC is the true evil... from a vinyl purist standpoint, I don't see the difference! I was mixing Journey's Don't Stop Believin' and Planet Rock without either for years, and now suddenly this is supposed to be a pre-requisite for top notch DVS?!?!?!

I'm also not understanding where all this "For a strictly DVS system, SERATO is a must" talk is coming from?

Did no one watch QBert's (albeit not exactly scientific) comparison video? it wasn't like every time he touched Traktor control vinyl horrible things would happen!

ugh.... fanboys

Tech Wizard

I hardly think we are "fan boys". Get a grip and re-read what we wrote. If anything, the shrill tone is coming from your post above not anyone proposing an alternative view per se.

There isn't a need to get uppity about all this - its just software. But it bears repeating that there are true differences in the software and depending on what kind of DJ you are, one will appeal to you over the other (although that is getting quite blurry now with the Bridge).

The point behind flexible beat grids is keeping the feel of a song while also keeping it in sync and then being able to play two or three other tracks, effects, loops, etc. going.

That's not an unreasonable thing to expect to be able to do.

Also important - if you use The Bridge you need to have your beatgrids set to sync Ableton clips to playing songs.

And again, you can't do the Bridge in Traktor Scratch Pro, S4 isn't released yet and, although very appealing and a strong value, it simply is a different beast than Scratch Live and The Bridge which at this point has much more potential that can be realized now since Live is at version 8 w/ tons of production possibility there for the creative producer/DJ.

Last edited by robtronik; 10-14-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Known as Robtronik.

http://www.facebook.com.com/djrobtronik | Visit, Like, Stay in touch.

Serato FTW!

:: runs for the door ::
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So what's the lest expensive way to get into Serato?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    So what's the lest expensive way to get into Serato?
    craigslist, buy a SL-1 box for $300 to $400 and a SL-3 goes for $500+

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's if you have a mixer right? If you don't I guess it would be a VCI-300?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    That's if you have a mixer right? If you don't I guess it would be a VCI-300?
    yup, but Itch is straight HID/Midi...im trying to sell my black macbook to buy a SL3

Quote Originally Posted by robtronik View Post
    Those three things above are crucial and fundamental functions to anyone djing and really working a room IMO.
    Granted... you did say "IMO" and I respect that...

the uppity weapon has been holstered. hehehe

It's been a long day... and when comments implying absolute methods of DJing pop up, it gets me going... kinda like telling artists they're holding the brush wrong, or that they're using the wrong kind of easel.

Serato+Bridge/S4 capabilities aside, I think we can safely say that each system can handle their own as far as DVS goes.

JesC....you're jokes dude.. no need to run

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    For a DVS setup, serato - no question.
    Why?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by robtronik View Post
    And again, you can't do the Bridge in Traktor Scratch Pro, S4 isn't released yet and, although very appealing and a strong value, it simply is a different beast than Scratch Live and The Bridge which at this point has much more potential that can be realized now since Live is at version 8 w/ tons of production possibility there for the creative producer/DJ.

Abelton Live is quickly becoming the choice for not only studio production,but also in real over the air radio stations for creating and launching radio drops, sound efx, commercials and live TV applications such as American Idol, I dont know what exactly your format is going to be(24/7 dj mixes or what not) but having a tool as powerful as abelton and scratchlive together should be something to consider. Its sounds like you have both sets of software already at your disposal so why not just add abelton to the scratchlive setup and move on from there.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast