a DJ HAS to be organized musically - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

All great info. Thanks a lot.

While the idea has been touched on, it wasn't specifically mentioned (and it sounds kinda lame) but it's what I do

I comment on the "darkness" or how "light" or "bright" a song is, coupled with a selection of primary colors I feel would be combined in a lightshow, if one were going and dedicated to that song, and the first color usually being the main color, with subsequent colors adding in some flavor. I used to code with "orange," "aqua," "purple," etc, but was very inconsistent and found primary colors made it easier to transition from a dark set to a light set as you increase bpm, energy, etc.

9a - deep dark red blue -- would be something like a dimly lit blood / purple vibe
    8a - bright yellow red -- something like a high energy dance

gives me something to shoot for when i want to keep the styles of the songs the same while mixing in key.

this method, used in conjunction with

http://www.crayonroom.com/moody.php

has sped up my commenting / rating process immensely. you can rename the colors seen in the screenshots to incorporate the above process, and it allows you to preselect songs based on how you color-coded them.

2c
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    While the idea has been touched on, it wasn't specifically mentioned (and it sounds kinda lame) but it's what I do

I comment on the "darkness" or how "light" or "bright" a song is, coupled with a selection of primary colors I feel would be combined in a lightshow, if one were going and dedicated to that song, and the first color usually being the main color, with subsequent colors adding in some flavor. I used to code with "orange," "aqua," "purple," etc, but was very inconsistent and found primary colors made it easier to transition from a dark set to a light set as you increase bpm, energy, etc.

9a - deep dark red blue -- would be something like a dimly lit blood / purple vibe
    8a - bright yellow red -- something like a high energy dance

gives me something to shoot for when i want to keep the styles of the songs the same while mixing in key.

this method, used in conjunction with

http://www.crayonroom.com/moody.php

has sped up my commenting / rating process immensely. you can rename the colors seen in the screenshots to incorporate the above process, and it allows you to preselect songs based on how you color-coded them.

2c
    :eek: Never been into visuals much but this is crazy cool.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    /quick
    /quick list
    /frequent

these names could work and they would be up top

not sure what you mean

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    not sure what you mean
    basically the most recent songs that you like and what quick access to...you throw it into the AAA playlist, or if your going through your library and found a gem
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    basically the most recent songs that you like and what quick access to...you throw it into the AAA playlist, or if your going through your library and found a gem
    aaah okay. gotcha

Tech Guru

anyone else want to add their organization? im loving peoples ideas

maybe a screenshot or 2
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

I was using my Windows music library until now, and organized everying into files by gendre, and giving no's to each folder ie; (Funky house 1) (Funky house 2) and so on. I no them according to how old they are, the latest ones being the higher no's. Although recently under suggestion from Karlos Santos I downloaded Itunes, and started to organize everything there. I think I just started a big challenge, thats gonna take me hours to sort out, but once done will be much easier or me I think.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Is there a way of organising tracks in Itunes by key? I've never used it before, but downloaded it because of everyone's recommendations here, but I haven't found any way of showing the key of the song.

I normally run my tracks through Mixed in Key then sort them out that way using windows files (Initial Key).

you cant display the "key" field in itunes
    i place the key in the front of the comments, so sorting by comments takes care of that
    or just searching for a track with "9a " ... and itll list it
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast