a DJ HAS to be organized musically
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default a DJ HAS to be organized musically

Hello DJTT,

Recently started cleaning up most of my music, I've been adding specific genres instead of just HOUSE and fixing up names etc & I also made playlists based on when I got the music

but was wondering how do yous set up your playlists..

Can you give me an example: Like a screenshot, or Names of your playlist

Thank you
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Banned

Short and sweet version.

I start by cleaning up my filers first and then tagging them with MiK, i.e

Artist - Track (Remixer) - Key - BPM

Then I run them through a program that's tags all the proper ID3 info so Traktor reads it properly

I then organize my files by genre, i.e. tech house, minimal, techno, soulful house, stripped back and so on.

From there I organize the tracks by the feeling/groove energy it has. i.e. early, opening, atmosphere, late, peak and so on.

So now I can pop in any folder, sort that folder by key, and start playing songs and not worry about it. Half the time I don't even know the track I'm playing, but I know it must belong in here and I've had to listen to it three times before it ends up in it's right location.

This works great at the beginning of the night, but when it comes to peak time I obviously know those tunes and know how to work. Just at the beginning/middle of the night I'm more concerned about the groove and vibe and not so much about the specific tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Short and sweet version.

I start by cleaning up my filers first and then tagging them with MiK, i.e

Artist - Track (Remixer) - Key - BPM

Then I run them through a program that's tags all the proper ID3 info so Traktor reads it properly

I then organize my files by genre, i.e. tech house, minimal, techno, soulful house, stripped back and so on.

From there I organize the tracks by the feeling/groove energy it has. i.e. early, opening, atmosphere, late, peak and so on.

So now I can pop in any folder, sort that folder by key, and start playing songs and not worry about it. Half the time I don't even know the track I'm playing, but I know it must belong in here and I've had to listen to it three times before it ends up in it's right location.

This works great at the beginning of the night, but when it comes to peak time I obviously know those tunes and know how to work. Just at the beginning/middle of the night I'm more concerned about the groove and vibe and not so much about the specific tracks
    Thanks for that dude, very smart way of organizing your collection! BTW what program do you use to run your songs for Traktor?
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Guru

thanks Nephew for helping me out on organizing, good method

anyone else wanna share their method?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

For me in Traktor I have like 5 major playlists of "general" genre:

House
    Prog
    Techno
    Trance
    Breaks

I've successully placed 1000+ tracks into at least one of these general genre playlists. Im now going through all of them and tagging them in the comments section with their feel and characteristics (i.e. funky, banging, beach, heart, bass, etc)

During this process Im also cleaning out the collection to remove tracks I never or rarely play.

My goal is to have a general quick reference for the playlists to go to and then be able to narrow things down based on the characteristics of the music and how they make me feel or vibe they produce. In traktor that little search box above the preview button brings the tracks up by their keywords immediately at once!
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Basically I play mainly hip hop and electroish house, all of those tracks are in one playlist which is about 1200 songs, I label specific tracks on how they feel, like "Bmore" or "banger" "downtempo" etc, then I have seperate playlists for genres that I have less music of/ dont often play like "dancehall/reggae" "New Jack Swing" "80s/90s"

and thats pretty much it. I jump around genres a lot so its helpful to just be able to sort by bpm in one big playlist and then I just play whatever catches my eye

Tech Guru

My issue right now i have way too many sub-genres:

DANCE:
    Breakbeats - Afrika Bamb
    Booty Music - 2 Live Crew
    Top 40 - Pitbull
    etc.

Hip-Hop:
    Old School (beastie boys, rakim, epmd)
    Classic - Biggie, Nas,
    Top 40 - Lil Wayne, Kanye

House
    Tech House
    Deep
    Trendy
    Tribal
    etc.

It makes it easy to go to main crate and find songs within the subcrates and bounc around styles, but it's alot of folders. There's also disco, retro, reggae, etc. I do this all thru Itunes, but can't figure out a good way to bring in crates ands subcrates (sub folders) into Traktor. Itch does this great with Itunes. Then I just use the ratings stars. 5 = banger 4= really good 3 = warm up, 2 = filler. anything else I delete aftera while because I know I'll never play it (some I keep just incase of requests).

So i can go to my hip hop main folder sort all my 4's and 5's and bounce from old school to lil wayne rather easily. I still have to get on MIK and do the key stuff.

It's time consuming for sure.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

i was really organized for awhile but have recently fallen back into my old habits lol... so i'll share how my method from when i am organized heheh

-first it's organized by date(Month/Year) folder

- then inside the date folder is genres (electro/house, techno, breaks, dubstep, idm/glitchhop, d&b, hiphop, nudisco, and other(usually indie rock, experimental and oldies)

-within the genre folders i also have a "AAA" folder for the songs that stand out to me most so i can easily access them if i forget their names (which is more often than not)

i avoid breaking it down even further into sub-genres or by artist/album/ep. so long as everything is divided up amongst their major genre branches and more importantly, the date i acquired them, that is more than adequate for me.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 10-14-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    AAA" folder
    /quick
    /quick list
    /frequent

these names could work and they would be up top
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

I've recently started using iTunes' Smart Playlist function for creating playlists based on genres. I tag all my music with the correct genre, then I make lists with parameters like "genre is house or progressive house but not electro house" etc. I also make sure to only include "checked items" so that I can uncheck songs that don't belong on a dance floor or that I really don't want to play.

I also use ratings.

If you use iTunes for music managing this might be useful for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast