Newbie with full TT setup, looking to add toys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Newbie with full TT setup, looking to add toys

Hey guys, I've been doing mashup production for about 6 months now and I'm trying to get into the performance/DJ side.

My current available configuration is: 2 Numark TT200's, a Numark X6 mixer, and an Audio 8 sound card. Using Traktor, I could use that setup to mix my tracks with Deck A and Deck B and run some effects of off my mixer to play with those tracks.

Now, what I would like to do is add a trigger pad to throw in a) random sounds or b) use loops on Decks A & B and play with cues on Deck C & D. I'm looking at buying an MPD18 to do this. A few questions, though:

1. With the 16 trigger pads, would I be able to designate 8 to Deck C and 8 to Deck D? How would I be able to make that divide?

2. How would I assign the pad in general to work in Traktor without going through the mixer, since there are no RCA inputs? Does Traktor auto-detect devices like that?

And now to go a bit deeper into the grand scheme...

3. If I'm not scratching, do I really need my damn turntables?!? Couldn't I really sell them off, buy a controller and be good to go?

Orrrr

4. Could I keep the TT's in order to be "legit" and replace the mixer with a full controller? Would a controller allow me to queue up songs on all 4 decks?

Sorry for the load of questions right off the bat, but this place seems to hold a wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

okay

1: yes you would you would just midi map 8 of them (imo 8 cues is a little overkill) to 8 pads and visa versa

2:you just plug in your MPD18 via usb and your ready to go you dont have to plug it into the mixer or anything just straight into your labtop then you can midi map it in the controller section

3:we'll its mainly personal preference whether you want to use tt's or a controller but like you said you could just buy a controller and be good to go!

4: again yes you could buy a controller and use your tt's as long as you've got the audio 8 you would probobly need a usb hub for this setup though if you've got a macbook, the controller would be able to cue up songs on all decks whether you have to use a shift button or it has a full 4 deck section ie: traktors kontrol s4, or the vms4 from american audio.

hope that helps even just a little

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJMilk3y View Post
    okay

1: yes you would you would just midi map 8 of them (imo 8 cues is a little overkill) to 8 pads and visa versa

2:you just plug in your MPD18 via usb and your ready to go you dont have to plug it into the mixer or anything just straight into your labtop then you can midi map it in the controller section

3:we'll its mainly personal preference whether you want to use tt's or a controller but like you said you could just buy a controller and be good to go!

4: again yes you could buy a controller and use your tt's as long as you've got the audio 8 you would probobly need a usb hub for this setup though if you've got a macbook, the controller would be able to cue up songs on all decks whether you have to use a shift button or it has a full 4 deck section ie: traktors kontrol s4, or the vms4 from american audio.

hope that helps even just a little
    thanks so much for your input! i like the idea of scrapping my mixer and using a controller along with my TT's, this way I could minimize my setup for some occasions or bring the turntables along if I focus on learning to scratch. might be on to something here...

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hobi316 View Post
    Now, what I would like to do is add a trigger pad to throw in a) random sounds or b) use loops on Decks A & B and play with cues on Deck C & D. I'm looking at buying an MPD18 to do this. A few questions, though:
    Pretty much agree with everything DJMilk3y said. Nothing wrong with the MPD18, but have you considered a midi fighter. It really can't be beat for cue point juggling and was designed for exactly what you want to do.

1. With the 16 trigger pads, would I be able to designate 8 to Deck C and 8 to Deck D? How would I be able to make that divide?
    There are midi mappings available for the midi fighter that do this and more and I'm pretty sure you can find one for the MPD18 that was close to the same. You can also map it yourself.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything DJMilk3y said. Nothing wrong with the MPD18, but have you considered a midi fighter. It really can't be beat for cue point juggling and was designed for exactly what you want to do.
    Yeah I like Ean's videos with the Midi Fighter and that's 100% what I want to do, but the Akai pads are much more affordable for me right now.

One thing that was brought to my attention over on Blacklabelled is the Kontrol X1. Is this essentially a slimmed down controller size-wise? I mean, it has all the same functions as a Hercules RMX or whatever other model with the jog wheels, right?

If I were to have my TT's and a trigger pad with the Kontrol X1, would a mixer be necessary?

There'a a midi fighter for $135 in the for sale section right now. It's a little more than an MPD18, but well worth it imo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Wizard

I'll consider it. What about the Kontrol questions?

One thing that was brought to my attention over on Blacklabelled is the Kontrol X1. Is this essentially a slimmed down controller size-wise? I mean, it has all the same functions as a Hercules RMX or whatever other model with the jog wheels, right?
    I don't know if it'll have all of the exact same functions but there are mappings out there that use the X1 as a stand alone controller. So you could use and X1 to control two decks in Traktor and your turntables to play regular vinyl using the audio through on the two other decks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Wizard

My goal though is to use timecoded TT's on 2 decks and a trigger pad on the other 2 decks. So I'm curious if the X1 would be able to somehow (perhaps through a shift button) also control cues on Decks C & D?

Tech Mentor

You could switch out your mixer for a midi enabled mixer such as the DDM 4000, that keeps the best of both worlds, both analogue and digital mixing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast