charity gig, how to get DJ's?
    Tech Guru

Default charity gig, how to get DJ's?

I've been thinkin about putting on a gig for charity for some time now. But just wondering how I'd go about approaching the DJ's. I'd want a few well known names (not just a load of mickey mouse "up & coming" locals) but what's the norm if it's for charity... asking them to do it for free? Reduced price? Standard rate? How would one approach this situation?

Cheers

Tech Mentor

Ask them to do it for free... After all, it is for charity! Or at most, cover their travel costs + a few drinks or something.

Tech Guru

My thoughts exactly. Just wondering what the norm would be for this kinda thing. I know a few big DJ's personally so shouldnt be a problem but dont wanna over step the mark by asking them to play for free.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Just wondering what the norm would be for this kinda thing. I know a few big DJ's personally so shouldnt be a problem but dont wanna over step the mark by asking them to play for free.
    if you know them personally, why not be upfront and ask them what they think is fair?

at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we say or what they say, because i assume you're going to make the judgement call based on what you can afford and the vibe you get from the artists once you approach them.

good luck man.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

"I'm putting together a gig for so and so charity , would you be interested in helping out and playing?"

Might help to have a couple up and comers booked already so you can say you have a few other DJ's, but I need some bigger names to draw a crowd so we can raise more money.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

You should factor in that it costs them money to go play somewhere, especially if they have to bring a lot of equipment. I think the key would be to sell the charity aspect of it "help feed the children" or whatever it is you're supporting. If the artist buys into your cause, they'd probably play for free.

I'll play for free :-D But yes... Just tell them up front what it is, who it's for...
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)