S4 to KRK RP6 G2 - balanced?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 to KRK RP6 G2 - balanced?

Hey guys,

While waiting for the S4 to arrive I've gotten myself the RP6 speakers. I've checked out the Know-your-connections post and the cable-pizza post but there's one thing I am not sure of.

I got the choice of going balanced XLR or TRS (or unbalanced RCA but somehow that doesn't feel 'pro') on the RP6. Now I know the S4 doesn't have XLR but it does have balanced TRS so when I was in the shop today asking for some balanced 'jack' cables (didn't know the proper abbreviation, TRS, for it) I ended up with what appears to be 'mono' plugs. Now I was told by this friend this probably isn't the right cable as I should be gettings jack plugs that appear to be stereo plugs, with 2 rings.

Am I right that they alway appear to be 'stereo' jacks in order for them to be balanced? For the "cold" ring bit? Or do 'mono' jacks also exist as balanced plugs? Mind you when I refer to mono or stereo I mean the look of the actual cable, not the signal going through it as I realize that is mono by definition.

Cheers!

"TRS cabling is identical whether it's used for stereo or balanced mono."

http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/balanced.html

Google is your friend...
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

Tech Wizard

Ya I get that, but both examples in your link show Tip-Ring-Sleeve connectors. So to me, as the novice, it looks like a stereo connector. So you've confirmed what I am thinking: A stereo jack cable can be used to transport Stereo sound (left + right) or mono sound, balanced (hot and cold). This means effectively that there's no such thing as a balanced mono cable (not the signal, but the cable with just 1 ring).

This is what I got when asking for balanced jack cables in that store:

I think that's the wrong cable as it's missing one ring for the cold part of balanced cables. This picture below illustrates what I think is missing, namely #2, the center bit:

That's what I understood from the website, you need a stereo cable, so yup, they gave you the wrong cable... Terug naar mediamarkt

Tech Wizard

Hah, no, it wasn't the Media Markt... I mean, "ik ben toch niet gek :P"
    It was an actual music store with guitars and amps and all, cables costed me 25 euro's (12,50 each, Schulz cables) aswell!
    The guy behind the counter was an old fart though. Looking back I now realize why I had to repeat myself 5 times when saying "balanced" and the 6th time I said it in dutch, gebalanceerd, it worked. He was clueless... Like me haha. Oh well, back to the store I guess.

If you have two speakers and two outlets on your S4, you're in good shape - one mono plug for each speaker. You don't want two stereo plugs. Don't go back to the store

Now it gets confusing

Tech Wizard

Indeed... so djproben, mono plugs can be balanced afterall?? Again, I know the mono sound coming through the cable is mono regardless wether I use stereo or mono plugs but I am confused as far as the plugs themselves go. Mono plugs cannot be balanced from what I've read/heard/saw.

Tech Guru

The mono cables will work fine on the balanced in/out, but in unbalanced mode. The balanced in/out is made tolerant of using both dual and tripple conductor cables/connectors. And yes, the jack connector has to be of the "stereo"/TRS type if you are after the balanced feature

The practical benefit of balanced vs unbalanced is that the unbalanced cables will be getting interference from other electronic devices (e.g. cell phones when they are about to ring). With balanced you won't be getting external interference even if you have many meters of cables.

You could replace them for the stereo plug or not - that depends only if you really expect to have interference. Of course you have to be satisfied too, so do as you feel . Technically, you would probably be fine even with the ones you've got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

P.S. I think i would change them just for the feel ....

Tech Wizard

Cheers knaumov, I will do just that, for the feeling knowing I got the right cables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast