S4 to KRK RP6 G2 - balanced? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Balanced needs 3 connections per channel since it basically inverts the signal and sends it down a second 'live' connection, using the 3rd as the ground. XLR has 3 contacts, balanced TRS needs 3 contacts.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So on balanced stereo cables that only have two contacts is it really mono and they use the second channel for the ground?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    So on balanced stereo cables that only have two contacts is it really mono and they use the second channel for the ground?
    For a stereo signal to be balanced, believe it or not you need 6 contacts, 3 for left and 3 for right.

The standard unbalanced RCA connections from say a soundcard to a mixer use a live and a ground for each side so 4 contacts, a headphone cable uses 3 (Left live, Right live and ground).

EDIT: I don't think there is such a thing as a balanced stereo cable... the standard is a pair of XLRs.
    Last edited by fullenglishpint; 10-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    For a stereo signal to be balanced, believe it or not you need 6 contacts, 3 for left and 3 for right.

The standard unbalanced RCA connections from say a soundcard to a mixer use a live and a ground for each side so 4 contacts, a headphone cable uses 3 (Left live, Right live and ground).

EDIT: I don't think there is such a thing as a balanced stereo cable... the standard is a pair of XLRs.
    Then why would Native Instruments even advertise the Kontrol S4 as a BALANCED TRS? They aren't idiots and they damn sure are experts.

Tech Wizard

maxonemillionone, because it is balanced TRS! The S4, which is why I got the KRK's in first place, have 2 Balanced TRS outputs, both being mono. So one functions as left and the other as right which creates... stereo .
    Still, despite the outputs being mono, you'd need stereo plugs on both in order for the mono signal to become balanced. I know it's confusing as f*ck but that's why I started this thread. In order to have balanced lines you need stereo cables even though the signal going through them is mono o.O

(correct me if I'm wrong tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Terreur View Post
    maxonemillionone, because it is balanced TRS! The S4, which is why I got the KRK's in first place, have 2 Balanced TRS outputs, both being mono. So one functions as left and the other as right which creates... stereo .
    Still, despite the outputs being mono, you'd need stereo plugs on both in order for the mono signal to become balanced. I know it's confusing as f*ck but that's why I started this thread. In order to have balanced lines you need stereo cables even though the signal going through them is mono o.O

Yep that's it, 3 lines per channel which is what you have in a stereo cable.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Do not confuse ground and negative - they are not the same. The negative is the optional wire - if present, the cable becomes balanced. The ground is the one which usually collects the interferences.

The signal travels on the Positive/Tip/Hot and the Ring/Sleeve/Negative/Cold wires. The ground is there for grounding only, not for transporting signal (in case the cable is used in balanced mode). If the there's no Ring, then the ground chain is used for both Negative transport and Grounding, which is why it captures interferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_con...ve_terminology
    Last edited by loop; 10-18-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: clarificiation

Quote Originally Posted by Terreur View Post

Pardon me I mis-interpreted stereo TRS cables as being the same as mono. Alas in another discussion the distinction was made that true balanced stereo TRS cables has a fourth ring upon the necking which brings me to the point that I should have never posted. Sorry

I'm writing an essay for my cousin so my family back home in California buy's me an APC40. That's why I sound all intellectual right now. I hate it >.>

Tech Convert

This is something I was reading up about too since it's also going to bother me about what cables to buy. I also have the Audio 4 DJ, and its only got RCA inputs and outputs, but with a ground connector. So how exactly would this work with gear you want to run without unbalanced cabling (RCA's)? Would I have to connect a ground wire to the terminal on the A4Dj, and then run it along the speaker cable to the ground on the equipment, assuming there is actually a grounding terminal on the equipment.

Very confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12