Laptop maintenance (macbook)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Laptop maintenance (macbook)

Had a look around on the net but couldn't really find much on this particular subject... Just wondering if there is any form of servicing or general maintenance that could/should be done to prolong the life of a macbook. I had a piece of shit PC laptop for a period of time when my powerbook was stolen. The fan stopped working & when I opened it up it was totally clogged up with dust & fluff. I'm just wondering if there's any form of maintenance that can be performed at home to keep macbooks in tip top condition before something simple like a bit of fluff takes the fan out, damages it meaning having to replace it, or even worse, over-heats the processor and causes expensive damage or having to replace the laptop altogether.

I know laptops & most electronic equipment ultimately have an expiry date (nothing lasts forever). But if there's steps that can be taken to get the most out of my macbook, and more importantly, not have it die mid set, I'd be happy to know these steps.

To get things started I just read in another forum that apparently it's best to not turn your macbook off if you use it every night only to turn it on the next morning, instead let it go to sleep as this can save wear on parts needed to turn the machine on.

you could put some compressed air into the fan or something like that to get the fluff out or open it up and cneal the fan, ive had my macbook for 3 years still works perfectly had to replace the fan and hd though fan broke when a big fly got stuck in there hehe

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

On the software side install Onyx and run it on occasion.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

dont use compressed air , it will just push the dirt farther into the machine. Get a mini hand vac or something to SUCK the dirt out.

One thing i do with my laptop, is once a month drain the battery dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD. so dead it wont turn on. Then toss it in the fridge for an hour or two. Take it out, charge it full. It helps reset the "memory" on both the battery on the computers sensor. As a IT professional, i approve this message.

Use the hardware test CD/DVD (there are 3rd party tools too) It will power your fans up to 100% and fire them in 'bursts', I do it regularly on all my laptops, just did it to my friend's mac mini and he was blown away by how much SHIT came out the vents. If you're handy with disassembly, then actual fan servicing isn't a bad idea. And it's fun
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Learn how to truely service your Macbook.

Download a service manual .pdf off the net. Use the google-fu

Strip her to pieces and re-assemble her. Repeat until one is capable of doing this whilst hanging upside from a moving ceiling fan, blind folded and singing yankee doodle.

Replace the thermal paste. I'm sure apple skimps on that. Put some of that arctic silver with diamonds shit on your cpu and watch the temperature drop 20 Celsius at full load.

Quote Originally Posted by ssjaken View Post
    One thing i do with my laptop, is once a month drain the battery dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD. so dead it wont turn on. Then toss it in the fridge for an hour or two. Take it out, charge it full. It helps reset the "memory" on both the battery on the computers sensor. As a IT professional, i approve this message.
    Won't the condensation in the fridge cause problems? I really wouldn't trust our fridge!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think maybe leaving the laptop in the trunk during the winter might be my preferred method.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think maybe leaving the laptop in the trunk during the winter might be my preferred method.
    +1
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Won't the condensation in the fridge cause problems? I really wouldn't trust our fridge!
    shouldnt worry too much about it, since humidity is prevalent in a lot of places anyway, but freezer would be the better choice, in a bag.

i wouldnt waste your time in either, however. apple states simply draining the battery to death, and then some, is sufficient to reset the onboard mem

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...6/en/9036.html
    Last edited by completej; 10-18-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast