Going to New York. Any must see places? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I want to sound cool and say that's sounds like my kind of city. But I don't smoke and paying for something which I could... probably... maybe... get for free here, isn't my thing
    I don't smoke either. I get all my thrills through the posts in the IZ drunk thread.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Record stores in NYC: Halcyon and Dope Jams are where it's at (both are in Brooklyn). A-1 Records in the East Village for used records/older stuff/rarities.

As for getting a SIM card for your Nexus One: don't know if it's worth it for just a few days, as even for a prepaid card you might have to pay a fee upfront. Just use the free or cheap WLANs at many places (don't surf the web at FedEx/Kinko's, it's waay overpriced)

Just get lost at any hour of the day or night anywhere in the city. These days it's hard to look obviously like a tourist so don't be self-conscious about that by any means. Just listen to your most basic curiosities. You'll have a few stories and a few secrets to tell about when you get back!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I'm 22 but I'm going with family and my cousin is 19 so I doubt we will be going out to clubs because of that but that does sound like the exact place we would go to.

Doubt it. Unless you know a Tobes that lives in Cornwall in the UK

I want to sound cool and say that's sounds like my kind of city. But I don't smoke and paying for something which I could... probably... maybe... get for free here, isn't my thing

Keep em coming guys. They are all going down on my map and I intend to go to them.
    I believe Love on McDougal might be 18+ and Pacha is 18+ some nights..

www.pachanyc.com.

Other than clubs, I'd recommend Rockefeller Plaza, especially Top of the Rock @ dusk. There is tons to see, St. Patricks Cathedral, Empire State, Canal St, Ground Zero, Wall St.

For eats, try Lombardi's or Grimaldi's. For good dessert, try Magnolia Bakery or Juniors in Brooklyn (Best Cheesecake EVER). Juniors is right across the Manhattan Bridge, near Canal.

Thanks guys.

In thinking about seeing a rangers game on Sunday but I wouldn't know what the best way to get tickets would be. Looked online and there is a couple of of places at the front and they are about 245 bucks.

Tech Wizard

Hi to everyone,

this post is quite recent, so I won't add another one on more or less the same topic.

I am going to the BIG APPLE (NY) from Nov. 23rd to Nov. 28.
    We will stay in Bowery (NOLITA/SOHO/LITTLE ITALY, still didn't figure out what the exact area is)... we are one underground stop away from WILLIAMSBURGH as well.

I would like to get advices on:

- clubs

me and my friends like electro (not too hard though, stuff like FUKKK OFFF/DIGITALISM/DANGER will be okay), electro/wave (or whatever is it called, stuff like LIFELIKE/KRIS MENACE/VALERIE COLLECTIVE - Outrunners, Maethelvin, Anoraak, etc.- /ACID WASHED/FM ATTACK), prog housish stuff (like MICHAEL CASSETTE, ERIC PRYDZ, VOLTA CAB, etc.)....
    mainly.
    We also like deep, tech house and minimal.

we do not like places which are too over furnished or bling bling (PACHA or similar), please also no vocalists or pole dancers... we prefer alternative/hip places... like Berghain/Watergate in Berlin or Social Club in Paris ... or similar

just to give you a hint, last time in Manhattan I've been to the STUDIO B in Brooklyn to see Zombie Nation and I liked it.

- DJ shops

not particularly looking for records, but I would love to check out a few dj shops for hardware especially (controllers, headphones, dj bags, etc.)

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Let me know

Just wanted to thank you guys for your input.

I was with family quite a bit but managed to get to a few.

Rock & Soul - Not bad for equipment. Staff were a bit pushy with sales. Not a massive selection of records but at least they had a bit or range. Me and my cousin were looking at needles and we were told that they had every needle and if we couldn't see it, it would be behind the counter. They didn't have the Stanton Diabalo (my cousin asked). So that was a bit... meh.

They didn't have the basic Technics record bag but they handed me a card and told me to go online and I would be informed when they got it in. Not really great seeing as I'm on holiday and with a British accent you would have thought they would have guessed.

Bleecker Records - Lovely record shop. They didn't have anything Electro and they told me that most of the places that did electro have closed down. I did buy 3 Ratatat LPs there though so that was good. Doubt I would go there again but it was nice to see a proper record shop.

B&H - I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I spent well over $500 there lol. I bought a Kaoss Pad 3, 2x M44-7 Needles and headshells, 4 Traktor Scratch Vinyl and 3 years cover for $20 which is international. Will be going back there again. I loved the sales reps, the wizzing carts and everything on display.

I also got reserved a ticket to the Engadget show by the producer before I left for NY so I went to that. You can see me in pretty much all the crowd shots lol. Was great.

That's all I managed to get to. It's massive and my legs are killing me.

As for the city I love it. Times Square is just great at night. Most people are friendly and helpful. The food is nice. I mean some of it like the burgers and steaks are amazing but then other things left me a bit underwhelmed. I was brushing my teeth 3 times a day from all the soda I was drinking. There are other drinks I know and I tried some but it was all new to me and once you try a lot of stuff you don't like you tend to go back to familiar stuff. Coke tastes different there though. Like it has more caffeine in it.

One thing that I have been kicking myself about is I got stopped by a guy in Times Square and handed me a ripped CD and was talking to me about where I'm from and how he hates Tim Westwood. We were chatting for like 3 minutes and then some other guys handed me more CDs. The guy was like "help a brother out" or w/e and as I had 4 CDs in my hand I thought fair enough and handed him $20 and of course me being a dumb ass they saw I was carrying a bit more and told me they would give me change for a 50. That they would take my Euros etc. Then they said that was just for one CD... I thought these were free! So I said no and they argued that they had signed them. Just said no again and they took 2 of the CDs off me and walked off.

Felt pretty stupid. Lesson learned. Nothing wrong with carrying cash but only have so much in the big cash bit. I hid the rest in card slots after that. Also there is no need for 50 $ notes. The cash exchange gave them but next time I will ask for $20 or less. Also ignore every person on the street. Nothing is free. Nothing is on sale. There is nothing special. I'm still debating about the Comedy Central tickets... I wouldn't have minded going but not knowing if they were free or if it would be any good I didn't bother.

It's noisy. Hotel was on 26th Street so just outside the main busy rush but I live surrounded by fields. Hearing sirens going off till 3am is a bit annoying.

Trash is pretty bad. Come 6pm it's everywhere and the place smells. Saw no crime or prostitution. Smelt weed everywhere lol. Gratuity added on everything at 15% is a bit crazy. I know it's the thing though and just where I live it's not expected. The service is excellent though so it's not like I felt it wasn't justified.

Would I go again. Hell yeah. Would I live there... it has it's upsides and downsides. I dunno. I don't think I would. It's not my scene exactly. No electro would kill me. Maybe I should try San Francisco or LA.

But again thanks for your help guys. Sorry I missed a few. Maybe next time I go the Disney store will be open lol. I wanted some Tron stuff but ended up getting a small Recognizer from Toys 'R Us.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luca78nero View Post
    Hi to everyone,

this post is quite recent, so I won't add another one on more or less the same topic.

I am going to the BIG APPLE (NY) from Nov. 23rd to Nov. 28.
    We will stay in Bowery (NOLITA/SOHO/LITTLE ITALY, still didn't figure out what the exact area is)... we are one underground stop away from WILLIAMSBURGH as well.

I would like to get advices on:

- clubs

me and my friends like electro (not too hard though, stuff like FUKKK OFFF/DIGITALISM/DANGER will be okay), electro/wave (or whatever is it called, stuff like LIFELIKE/KRIS MENACE/VALERIE COLLECTIVE - Outrunners, Maethelvin, Anoraak, etc.- /ACID WASHED/FM ATTACK), prog housish stuff (like MICHAEL CASSETTE, ERIC PRYDZ, VOLTA CAB, etc.)....
    mainly.
    We also like deep, tech house and minimal.

we do not like places which are too over furnished or bling bling (PACHA or similar), please also no vocalists or pole dancers... we prefer alternative/hip places... like Berghain/Watergate in Berlin or Social Club in Paris ... or similar

just to give you a hint, last time in Manhattan I've been to the STUDIO B in Brooklyn to see Zombie Nation and I liked it.

- DJ shops

not particularly looking for records, but I would love to check out a few dj shops for hardware especially (controllers, headphones, dj bags, etc.)

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Let me know
    perhaps google "trash yourself" John frm that group performed a little while back. I so not know whatthey spin there though, probably hard stuff

@tobes, glad to see it went well overall!
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123