Which filter type do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which filter type do you use?

Yesterday, I changed to the Xone filter setting in Traktor and I'm going to use it for some time to see how I like it.

I have a love/hate affair with the standard filter. I love it because you can do really cool effects with it, like twisting them in opposite directions with two songs playing. I hate it because if all I wanna do is filter out the bass or treble of a song it makes this whining high-pitched noise as the knob is rotated, which can really screw up a smooth transition.

Which one do you prefer? And how do you use the filters in general?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I like the whining high-pitched noise
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

depends. I sometimes like that noise, especially when killing the hi's and it really blurrs ou the vocals.

Now if i was using the filter to transition songs, I use the 92 and the last parameter I have turnd all the way to the right. This gives me a nice smooth filtering of sound.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I know exactly what you mean... would be nice to have a few more filter options. I have a friend who uses Virtual DJ with a hugely adjustable filter plugin and there's no swoosh.

Don't get me wrong 'jojo the swoosh has its place but it'd be nice to be able to turn it off!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

no swoosh & volume spikes would be nice...

I use the filters on my Xone92
    (which sound nothing like the Traktor emulation BTW)
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Iwould be nice to have a few more filter options. I have a friend who uses Virtual DJ with a hugely adjustable filter plugin and there's no swoosh.

Don't get me wrong 'jojo the swoosh has its place but it'd be nice to be able to turn it off!
    Well, why don't you use the deck filter without the swoosh then? Or if you want more filter options, use one of the many filter fx???
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

moar swoosh
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Well, why don't you use the deck filter without the swoosh then? Or if you want more filter options, use one of the many filter fx???
    hm, I'm sure there was a reason I didn't like it all that time ago when i first decided... ah well, I can't fault your logic sir.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

and this is exactly why i made my own custom filter in Ableton - so you can cut the lows without much resonance but when you really twist the dial up for a filtering effect you get the screaming filter sound (high resonance).

I find its the best of both worlds while not having a separate knob for resonance.

I like my highpass on my Xone 4D but to use it i have to, drop the bass out of the track i am about to use it on and on top of that sometimes would dearly love it to sound smoother, mainly use filters when mixing tech or techno rather than deep, on top of this i like to use the Xone 4D's LFO which is nice if you don't ramp it up too much lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast